Working with a swiss army knife woes!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VFR800Essex

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2012
Essex UK
Had cause to use my, non locking, Victorinox champ the other day and i found myself being a little apprehensive.

I think the reason for it was it not being a fixed or locking blade that was causing concern. I like my pinkies as they are and remember getting a few injuries when younger working with standard folding knives.

Just wondered if anyone else had the same reservations/scares to prove my concern?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've had some nicks using a SAK. Fine for cutting but trying to make a hole for tapping birch sap was the problem - that's kind of the point of the UK knife laws - make it difficult to stab someone with it

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Not had a problem yet, though I'm sure if I wasn't concentrating on what I was doing it would bite me, like any knife proper technique and playing to its strengths will go along way to safe use.

Last edited:

roybmx

Jan 25, 2010
Japan
i tried to tap a tree with a folding knife once... it hurt! After that, I put the blade against the tree, folded the handle down then tapped on the joint. After doing that, I never had a problem. probably not too good for the knife though.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
got bitten not too long ago by my Joker slipjoint closing on me while carving (luckily my nail stopped the blade from going deeper into the finger tip) and haven't felt happy with it since. I was working with students so my concentration may not have been 100% :) I now only use fixed blades for carving and have got myself a boker xs for edc as it has a much stronger spring and a decent finger choil.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have old scars along the backs of the fingers from a folder doing this from a long time back.. Always been keener on locking or fixed blades since. When my sons got SAKs it was one of the first talks/lessons we did about their use..

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
the tool has it limit just like any other - I happily camp with an ALOX SAK and a slipjoint -

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
If your worried about using a edc for things that will course it to bite then get a sheepsfoot or wharncliff style blade. Less likely to use for anything but cutting

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I cut right to the bone with a SAK years ago. It's worth bearing in mind that if you need a locking knife you have every right to carry one.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't quite understand the thread?

There are locking SAKs and non locking SAKs - just as there are locking Leathermans and non locking Leathermans. I don't understand the brand switch to a bulkier tool with a set of pliers (which are, lets face it, of limited use in tree tapping) when it sounds like you just used the wrong tool for the job?

The right tool for the job in this case is probably a scotch eyed auger btw

Red (Happy owner of locking and non locking tools in both leatherman and SAK ranges)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like my pinkies as they are and remember getting a few injuries when younger working with standard folding knives.

Just wondered if anyone else had the same reservations/scares to prove my concern?

In direct answer, yes. I never use a SAK these days. If I'm out and needing a knife then it's a locking folder. If I'm in an environment where I'm unlikely to need a knife but still prefer to have one then I carry sub 3" non locker. Enzo PK70 at the moment, very nice :). No finger choil and a demonically sharp blade, I'd whittle with it but not poke holes in cardboard. Or shotgun cartridges, which is what caused my SAK accident. ;)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Hey Red, did you not understand that the OP was a bit worried that the SAK migh close on his fingers ? come on me old son, have you never had that thought ? ( if not, you've probably got the scars )

OK it may well be the "wrong" tool for the job but at least he thought about it........have you never used the "wrong " tool for the job and then wished you had'nt ?.......( fibber :) )

lighten up me old mate........ 38 posts and looking to inprove.....fair play i say :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I totally agree with Red on this. It may also just be bad technique too.

I reach for my SAK when using a fixed blade sometimes especiall the small blade.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hey Red, did you not understand that the OP was a bit worried that the SAK migh close on his fingers ? come on me old son, have you never had that thought ? ( if not, you've probably got the scars )

OK it may well be the "wrong" tool for the job but at least he thought about it........have you never used the "wrong " tool for the job and then wished you had'nt ?.......( fibber :) )

lighten up me old mate........ 38 posts and looking to inprove.....fair play i say :)

My point Robbi "old son" is that if a slipjoint is a worry - why buy a Leatherman?

Its like saying "my Ford saloon hasn't enough boot space, so I will buy a Vauxhall estate".

There are SAKs that are perfectly safe from closing

Main Blade by British Red, on Flickr

The top one is, the bottom one isn't

This Leatherman locks

Xti Contents by British Red, on Flickr

This one doesn't

EDC by British Red, on Flickr

In a nutshell SAK does not mean "slipjoint", Leatherman does not mean "locking blade". There are (again) locking SAKs in a variety of sizes if the blade folding is a concern.

Red

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
yeah, i know old son, but the way i read the OP is that he has one knife to use at that time......the SAK ( non locking )......and is concerned about his fingers........fair point i'd say, and was wondering if anyone shared his concerns........well, yes, i would, a non-locking folder has the ability to close on your fingers if care isn't taken.

so, me old mate, i'd say that all of us would have this concern, that's why we use locking blades :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE