Working the raw material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You must be scunnered looking at deerskin :)

Beautiful work though :approve: and superb workmanship :cool:

Someday you need to add up the hours of labour, just to give clear indication of just how 'much' work it is to make items like these; all too often folks think it a simple quick thing, while anyone who does make really, really appreciates the sheer time and effort and patience and skill involved.

atb,
Toddy

Dec 19, 2006
Loch Tay
I just stumbed across this post and what a lovely surprise. You've been busy! Looking forward to seeing it for real when I get back to Scotland. When do we get a photo of you dressed in the full buckskin suit? Does this spell the end of the DMP?

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Thanks for the comments folks.

Red the next batch will provide me with trousers, a couple of hats and a jacket.
I am putting together a large kit bag at the mo, this little shoulder bag in the photo is made up from the scraps.
Mary, I dread the thought of counting time but your right, finished articles show nothing of the labour
and time involved as with everything else within this vast subject - maybe one day.

Greetings Grant, are you still in Canada - lots of questions - call me.............I'm too set in my ways to be a grey owl - DPM still rocks :)

shoulderbag.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's neat :D and practical too :approve:

What's the black whorl on the pump drill made from ? I've ground down, rounded, and ground through (bit of wood and sand.....the blisters, oh the blisters :eek:) some river washed sandstone slices, but haven't done anything else with them yet. Never going to look as cool as that one though :D

atb,
M

Dec 19, 2006
Loch Tay
A combo of half buckskin and half DPM is a good medium i.e. not too millitary or too grey owl. This is inspiring me to get working on my buckskin shirt. I have a freezer full of hides from last years hunting which I'll tan come September. Still in Canada. Working up near Bella Bella on the west coast. Remote and beautiful. I'll get you over here before too long! Meeting up with Mors next week at the Woodsmoke gathering in the US. Then heading up to Alberta to instruct along side Mors, Randy and Kelly at Karamat. If I don't get call you before I leave I'll phone from Mors place as I know he want to catch up with you too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How you managed time to do those, and so tidily :approve: at this time of year, I'll never know :)

Ah, I wondered what you'd used. It looks really, really good. Very trim, very 'right'.
Thinking on it though, mind thon Ancient Egytian slate palette that was in the Kelvingrove, that was another fine bit of work from slate :)
Somewhere, in my stone stash, I've got some inch thick bits of slate.
Playtime :D

cheers,
M

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
I started this post a year ago and it seems it will go on for another....these hides came out the freezer this morning and will be scraped down next week,
the leg bones will be used for needles, fishing hooks, arrow and harpoon points.

hide-3.jpg

All these hides have been dry scraped and i have the same number of wet scraped hides all awaiting brains.....next year they will be transformed into breeks,
summer shirt and a hooded jacket.

hide-1.jpg

This batch of hooves will become a rattle and the others will be used for neck containers and arrow heads

hide-2.jpg

I have already started to construct a new coracle and plan to build a greenland kayak using deer hides in late spring.........
so lots of work to keep me busy over the winter months - thanks for looking.:)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Eric, all these hides will be transformed into buckskin, I have a freezer full of heads :yikes:
Two of the larger fallow hides which are in the cool house will be brained with the hair on for a cape.
A full outfit of mocs, mitts, hat, breeks and shirt or jacket will be made up in early spring when I have the time. :)

This I'd love to see, Patrick especially the cape. Will you be at the Bushcraft show in May?
(BTW, it's the woman who wanted the red deer toes for a rattle at last Wilderness :D)

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
cat-tail_zps7167e00c.jpg

Just realised my status has changed to nomad....things are looking up.:cool: I was out foraging on Sunday for cat tail seed heads for a little experiment on their
insulative quality and came across a newly deceased fox. Not one to bypass an opportunity It was skinned and stretched ready for scraping, unfortunately
there was some damage on the belly and forelegs but the back and tail were in very good condition. I will bark tan the hide and use it for the hood rim on
the buckskin coat and use the tail on a hat. Happy days.:)

fox_zps35b8c541.jpg

Hide stretched for drying on one of Mary's old racks

hide-art_zps8b13acf1.jpg

Image showing the incredible vein and capillary structure that feed the skin.

fox-scrape_zps3c23238c.jpg

Getting it ready for the bark juice.

Hi Elen, I remember speaking to you at my stand at the gathering......hope you are well...... I will not be at the other show.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I just saw this post today, I think you make these thing even more beautiful than they did in the old times!:) Let us know how the cattail insulation works out for you, it's something I've been meaning to try. Thanks for posting these, it is very inspiring.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No idea how i missed this thread.
I have seen lots of "working" examples of the things you make but I would like to think that when they were made properly, they were made with personality and to be cherished and would look exactly like your work.

Lovely stuff and a joy to see.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hello Mr M, the Fox hide looks nice, is that you dry scrapping it in the last pic? i've no tried dry scrapping yet,but i do have a red deer hide that i could dry scrape, the bonus would be getting the hide glue from the scrappings. But i had better get my finger out first as i have two roe hides which are taking up space in the freezer,and the wife is none to pleased :rolleyes:.

Anyway i hope alls well with you.

Atb Stuart.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
But i had better get my finger out first as i have two roe hides which are taking up space in the freezer,and the wife is none to pleased :rolleyes:.

Atb Stuart.

I had the same problem and had to get rid to replace with food, a damm shame. The Rabbit made it in though and back out, to be turned into a buckskin pouch which I'm chuffed with.

Great stuff as usual Patrick, look forward to how the projects turn out.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The coracles are amazing....but (and I know its strange) your cordage is always breathtaking.

One day I am going to sneak into your gaff and look for the rope walk!

Brilliant and awe inspiring as usual Patrick - thank you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE