Woollen blanket problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Can anyone else smell him on the blanket, sometime the smell remains because you think it does.
Certain things can evoke a memory and that can include the smell.
For me the smell of hot buttered popcorn evokes a memory of something I saw, if I see something similar or think about what I saw I can smell hot buttered popcorn.

Sent using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Machine washing is fine, if the label says Pure New Wool, Machine washable.....what that really means is that they've chemically stripped off the little scales that encourage the wool to felt.
If the blanket doesn't say Machine Washable, I wouldn't risk it. I have literally made a woolly brick from machine washing a blanket that ought not to have been washed, and I did it on a wool wash too.

M

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If it's a good quality blanket she could offer it here for a low price and would surely pretty soon get rid of the smell.

:biggrin:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Synthetic Boyfriend?

You mean theres such a thing as a Natural Boyfriend?

Do they cost more due to the fancy label?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Err, she tried that. Only cold though. She doesn't want to trash it. The smell persists.

I wash my 100% wool Austrian blanket Semi-regularly On the 30degrees ‘will cycle’ in my machine with no issues. You can get washing liquid for woollens and silks - I use that aswell (no idea why it’s different) but yeah I don’t want to trash mine either.

I then let it drip Dry before hanging in the airing cupboard.
Could try a febreze type spray and hanging it in the open air for a couple of days?

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lay it flat in the sun and sprinkle it with baking soda (or a carpet cleaning powder) and let it sit all day before washing.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Now there is a reason to only use unwashed wool for making blankets, the lanolin smell is so overpowering that I don't think any of us males can compete. Maybe sprinkling it with crushed thyme and rolling it tight for a week works!?

A slight :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There was a Spinners & Weavers Guild in the city where I once lived.
I went to wool sales, bought and processed raw fleece to a state that the Guild would buy what I did.
It was the lanolin that put me off. Not the dags and bugs.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've used the Herbal Essences one, and it smelled lovely. It kind of lasted well on the blanket too. The other one that was really nice was the Ecover fabric conditioner.
Nothing heavy or overly perfumed, just clean and pleasant smells.

M

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
fullwidth.a06d01d2.jpg

Reactions: Snufkin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE