Wool shirts for office wear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Okay guys so I've caught myself in a pickle - I've landed an office-based job but I haven't worked in an office environment for many years and currently only own three formal shirts :lmao:Anyway,, last year I decided to phase-out my cotton teeshirts/underwear/socks in favour of wool, so I'm loath to go buy a bunch of cotton shirts.

Can anyone recommend some makers of wool shirts that I can wear with chinos or dress pants that aren't CRAZY expensive?

Something like https://woolandprince.com/collections/button-down-shirts but in the UK?

Last edited:

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Offices are pretty warm places - go for poly cotton. Easy to wash + iron.

Rohan shirts are pretty good, don't need ironing after washing, and can be found on ebay for sensible prices pre-owned.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
+1 for Rohan shirts, they are cool and smart and, as Peaks, says, you can always get them cheap on ebay or look on their website in the Souk, their clearance bit.
Wool shirts will be way too warm in an office, think of all theta glass and no opening windows.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
I think there's some thin Wool shirts out there to be found. Mixed with poly out other synthetics.

Check out brands like
Rewoolution
Super natural merino
Icebreaker
Mons Royale
36f91e008e70b1471d1918de68b0f6ae.jpg
09b832156ff0db5e955969afc59613cf.jpg

http://snarkynomad.com/5-great-merino-wool-dress-shirts-for-staying-comfy-and-wrinkle-free/

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I know you dont want to buy more cotton shirts, but I dont think I've heard of too many wool business wear shirts - its not a big market!

Go for pure cotton - poly cotton can get pretty sweaty (which is why I've chucked all mine), and you'll be a lot more comfortable.

I discovered Jermyn St shirts a long time ago (someone gave me a voucher for Thomas Pinks, which was a bit of wow when you were used to buying them for a tenner), and although they look expensive compared with M & S, they are often not much different, certainly at the upper end, and often cheaper, especially if you multi-buy. As little as £25 a go if you buy 4.

Pure cotton is nice to wear, and if you go to somewhere like TM Lewin http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Shirts/Men...l&cm_re=Week+40-_-header+banner-_-Mens+Shirts - they wash well, and you get ones that really fit (you can chose sleeve size/style as well as collar, etc). If you havn't got one locally, then you can buy via the net, and its always worth looking for a discount code online first. They also have outlets at stations and at places like Bicester Shooping Village, where you can sometimes pick up a bargain.

Charles Tyrwhitt is another decent brand, although my TM Lewin ones have tended to last longer, as have my Thomas Pinks (lovely but expensive). But get something that suits you, and is comfortable. You have a good chance of finding Lewin's, etc in TKMaxx, for about £20, although finding my collar size, colour etc is always a bit hit and miss, but you might be lucky.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Is this a coat & tie gig or something a little softer? Monkey see, monkey do.
In my professor job, some wore jackets & ties, most didn't which included me.

Then I got an appointment to a big shot council, venture capital investors and "Captains Of Industry." Lah, Dee, Freakin' Dah.
A tweed jacket & tie was barely acceptable. I didn't fight it. Never bought a suit but smart business shirts polycotton, I think.
Couple more jackets. Bold ties. Could care less if the ties matched anything. Worked to my credit.

I was fortunate in that the meetings were monthly for 6 years. Daily, I'm not sure I could behave conservatively.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You might get away with wool in an air conditioned office, and even outside in your climate, but I don't think you're going to find anything that looks suitably at an affordable price (I like the look of good wool dress shirts as well; I have a couple of Pendleton's solid color Sir Pendleton, but they ain't cheap) Good luck though

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You are going to boil in wool - most offices are around 21-25C (effing ridiculous temperaturesIMO). Cotton is sensible, easy to wash and cool.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yet another vote for cotton button down shirts.

I have some by Charles Tyrwhitt but most of what I have had came from Landsend, not high end, but not bad. Some are no-iron cotton, but none are poly-cotton. Polyester doesn't suit me.
The offices I have been in can easily get up to 26degC in the summer. Between that and stress, shirts have to handle sweat and not stink.

This year I did wear a light wool jumper through the winter and spring, only quitting a few weeks ago, but I find that layering is important, temperatures can vary from one area to another, meeting rooms can be boiling while the main office chills or the other way around.

I am a big fan of Rohan clothing, but their polyester is just as bad for me as anyone else's, the silver treated stuff is better, but still not as good as cotton for me. Their Fusion chinos though are great, but they don't look quite as smart as cotton, but never need ironing, very tough.

Another thought, cotton (or poly) washes pretty easily, wool shirts can be a bit more awkward, and they too can require ironing to look good. I would rather wash and iron cotton than wool, far less fussy about temperatures and cycles.

Viyella do some 80/20 cotton/wool shirts, but they are a bit expensive, and you have got to like checks and plaids, which I do not.

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Ibex makes expensive wool shirts that functions very well in office environments. But their cut and sizing is on the small side, be warned!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Wow thanks for the suggestions guys.

I like the thermoregulation and anti-bacterial properties of wool. Simply, when I wear wool I don't feel the need to wear deodorant. I run pretty cold so I'm hoping to be okay with a lighter weight merino. Polyester is a no go.

My searchings haven't turned up much tho,

http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/search/merino/tomar-men-s-merino-long-sleeve-shirt.html is a neutral checkered shirt,

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/icebreaker-departure-ii-l-s-shirt-plaid-shirt/?aid=43e8e78496b7e0adcb9bfeb12e6c31ac&pid=10004&cpkey=2B8nOqQeTZ8ndDWkE9K9f4xwF7GHZP-t-6ZGkJ-3AjU&_$ja=tsid:60797|cid:254044867|agid:25884866587|tid:pla-146884585507|crid:104604046507|nw:g|rnd:10949994509472289356|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmIrJBRCRmJ_x7KDo-9oBEiQAuUPKMu1OQ_icIFKIK0ektLlaPnkr8eUaBafl4YRRJNc4iOwaAgDJ8P8HAQ is similar, if in a potentially garish hue!

Tony, that link isn't working for me. Redirects to viglink?

I may have to resort to cotton. Checking out all the suggested brands just now. My father buys his shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt and recommended them to me.

I've found a couple of lovely premium makers, such as https://www.johnsmedley.com/uk/mens...zhCHqzNc_nVqCBaODUzGj8aVh65ammbdudRoCTVLw_wcB but £165 for a single shirt? Bit rich for me unfortunately!

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I like the thermoregulation and anti-bacterial properties of wool. Simply, when I wear wool I don't feel the need to wear deodorant

That sound like the theory behind Dr Jaeger's thinking, which inspired the Jaeger brand. However, the theory hasn't had a whole lot of luck in terms of mainstream fashion, and a nice shirt from CT or Lewins (they have more shops, so better chance of finding one locally) will do fine.

If I'm going to spend £165 on a shirt (which I'd like to, but...), then I'd go for Turnbull and Asser http://turnbullandasser.co.uk/ - thats where Prince Charles gets his from. I did notice there is something called Cashmerello - which is 85% cotton and 15% cashmere. And Turnbull & Asser do them - http://turnbullandasser.co.uk/shirt...assic-fit-classic-t-a-collar-3-button-cuff-15 - £110, but at least its not just cotton.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
John Smedley's mill/factory is about 2 miles from where I live (near Matlock/Cromford in Derbys). They have a factory shop where they sell lots of items at discounted prices. Never seen anything approaching £165. Well worth a look if you are ever this way. They also do wool shirts - mostly long sleeve polo type and mostly merino or merino mix.

Amy Turner

Feb 16, 2017
US
Wool is not a good option for office environment. I only prefer pure cotton only. If you want to get the good stuff that isn't expensive, go for sale options visit market and you definitely fine some...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE