365-24-7 Bushcraft Clothing for the British Isle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You're right, life is too short not to give it a try...........You might not guess from my post above, but I'm a wearer of natural fabrics and have a dislike for most, but not all, synthetics. I'm quite prepared to put up with the weight penalties involved in woolen clothing and couldn't see me ever moving to the poo-tex, polymiraculous and unobtanium school; but then I (we) have the luxury of being able to have a spare set of dry clothing available and good enough shelter to be able to dry out the wet stuff; it's not going to be often that you can't get to some form of warm and dry place before you're in dire straights, even if it's a bus station or somewhere like that. There's never an excuse for not using simple expedients like rubble sacks to make sure you've got something dry and warm to wear as neccessary...........all things unavailable to our forefathers.

Keep going with your experiments, you'll learn more than you thought in the process and good luck with your adventure!

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
If you are interested in clothing systems prior to synthetic materials, take a look at what people like Scott and Nansen used: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/12/early-20th-century-cold-weather.html

Just be aware of the limitations of the clothing.

Cheers for the great read, I plan to read your next article (Comparison Between Modern and Early 20th Century Cold Weather Clothing) tomorrow (but sleep for now). A quick scan of it and those bar charts, wow George must have been cold!

You're right, life is too short not to give it a try...........You might not guess from my post above, but I'm a wearer of natural fabrics and have a dislike for most, but not all, synthetics. I'm quite prepared to put up with the weight penalties involved in woolen clothing and couldn't see me ever moving to the poo-tex, polymiraculous and unobtanium school; but then I (we) have the luxury of being able to have a spare set of dry clothing available and good enough shelter to be able to dry out the wet stuff; it's not going to be often that you can't get to some form of warm and dry place before you're in dire straights, even if it's a bus station or somewhere like that. There's never an excuse for not using simple expedients like rubble sacks to make sure you've got something dry and warm to wear as neccessary...........all things unavailable to our forefathers.

Keep going with your experiments, you'll learn more than you thought in the process and good luck with your adventure!

Cheers, I always see many people proclaiming their keenness for natural fibres on these forums.

Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

The main point of it all though is just to be out there, isn't it.... although maybe not tonight ;) it's tipping it down!

Plus I am somewhat hindered in a sling post-surgery at the moment unable to do much more in my spare time than browse BCUK and scour the internet for all thing bushy (and post odd questions :)).

Itching to get out...

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
One thing I could never do without is a decent and longish waterproof jacket. For me ponchos just never cut it. If my goretex jacket died or whatever and I had to replace it I would ( because we are pretty skint ) get a farm weight/heavy duty PVC top. I have lots of wool, and often hear "cotton kills" here, but I would go man made waterproofs every time.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I guess it's all down to where one plans to spend time outside, even here in the little UK we have rather contrasting weather and rather contrasting geography. Where I am we do have quite a bit of tree cover, the deciduous woods are termed "oak rain forest" by ecologists, all rather wet and dreary ;), but by and large it's open hill and moor. When the weather isn't back to front as it is at the moment, this is an extremely wet & windy place, all those second hand hurricanes and big atlantic fronts make it so. In winter all that is amplified by colder temperatures and long long nights (6 hours of daylight, or less on an overcast December day).

Even with a warm house and a car to get around in the weather can still be challenging, so clothing is a subject of much consideration, even just nipping out to the shops on a dirty day, as it is this morning.

I've spent quite a bit of time outside in my time working and to a degree living as well. After leaving home at 18 I had a couple of winter lets but spent most of my time living here in caravans, between trips abroad climbing/traveling where I lived in a tent, until I bought a house not long after I turned 26.

In that time, for a couple of years, "home" was a caravan in the woods, no power no running water. Heating was a little inadequate wood burning stove, fuel was cut and collected by hand, water came from a spring, light from a combination of candles and paraffin lanterns. No transport (didn't pass my test until I was 25 :eek: ). So everything was carried on foot or on the thumb (often just foot) if going to say, the shops, usually in the wet.

In winter I'd leave for and return from work in the dark, so only the weekend to sort everything out around the place for the coming week in daylight. Daylight hours were usually spent fending off the weather at work. I worked in forestry, the fishing industry in summer and on the roads stabilizing miles of road side cliffs in winter, it was this work that got me off shore and into house buying wages.

Other than my lack of transport and perhaps a chainsaw, living like that wasn't that unusual at that time and there were quite a few of my contemporaries in the same boat, it was either that or move away to the city, or back in with the folks, most moved away. The lack of affordable housing is still an issue locally as it is in many other parts of the highlands, a year round let, even on a short term lease is still a rare covetable asset. I still have permission to shoot over that ground and to this day I have a special fondness for that spot but I think I'd find it hard going back to that lifestyle nowadays.

I basically wore the same type of clothing year round, the only thing that changed was the inclusion or exclusion of a base layer, depending on the time of year. I had a set of full hill gear for scottish winter/alpine summer climbing, but kept it just for climbing. No going to work the shops the pub walking over the hill to visit pals etc in my goretex gear, too expensive and actually not that practical or hardwearing enough. So when I wasn't up a mountain top I wore and carried the following day to day;

Summer:
Wool or cotton socks
Synthetic base layer top or cotton tee shirt, depending on the weather and tick potential
Fast drying hard wearing poly cotton trousers
Poly cotton shirt
HH pile jacket or wool sweater
Heavy PVC oilskin jacket
Nylon proofed over trousers for leisure, heavy PVC oilskin trousers for work
Walking boots for leisure, leather or rubber work boots for work.
Wool hat
35lt rucksack

Winter:
Wool socks
Synthetic base layer top and bottoms
Fast drying hard wearing poly cotton trousers
Poly cotton shirt wool sweater (sometimes two if proper cold in which case I'd leave out the shirt) and HH pile jacket
Heavy PVC oilskin jacket
Nylon proofed over trousers for leisure, heavy PVC oilskin trousers for work
Walking boots for leisure, leather or rubber work boots for work.
Wool hat and gloves
35lt rucksack

Last edited:

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Cheers for the very insightful post Uilleachan.

It's nice too see that post, I was in the situation where I was trying to purchase a house with my girlfriend but the seller changed their in and it all fell through ho hum. :(

Now house prices are rocketing and the houses we were looking at are now unaffordable.

With all this lending that they are encouraging and that we are now in a sellers market... we're considering waiting for it to all come crashing down again and buying when the prices are leaning in our favour!

In the mean time, I have thought about 'alternative living' but my girlfriends less keen, lol. She'd sooner just live with the 'rents.

Then again, I am a dreamer ...
a0%20(171).gif

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There was a long running BBC documentary in the late seventies that followed several families who spent a year living in the Iron Age.

They were not camping, but their clothing and tools were items that would have been available to them two to three thousand years ago. It was hard, but doable, I recall that they spent parts of the summer going without clothing, the summers were warmer in the seventies of course.

And a winter is more easily survived if you have a round house, many hands and livestock.

:)

[video=youtube;zRs-zRoBIc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRs-zRoBIc4[/video]

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Cheers for the very insightful post Uilleachan.

It's nice too see that post, I was in the situation where I was trying to purchase a house with my girlfriend but the seller changed their in and it all fell through ho hum. :(

Now house prices are rocketing and the houses we were looking at are now unaffordable.

With all this lending that they are encouraging and that we are now in a sellers market... we're considering waiting for it to all come crashing down again and buying when the prices are leaning in our favour!

In the mean time, I have thought about 'alternative living' but my girlfriends less keen, lol. She'd sooner just live with the 'rents.

Then again, I am a dreamer ...
a0%20(171).gif

I don't blame her :D and truth be told if I could have found somewhere other than going off grid I would have snapped it up. At that time the only option was to buy or subsist as best one could. I had around 8 years living like that, the last 3 of which I had a small (6 hundred weight) Raeburn in better caravan, a caravan with a shed extension housing an electric shower and flush toilet, better than the alfresco hole'y bucket shower and the spade, so the last 3 years were more or less like living in a house. Almost impossible to live like that now unless you have an understanding land owner, or own the ground, and have decent neighbours who want stick you in with the local authorities or planning. A lot has changed in the last 30 years.

Although not a bushcraft experience in the pure sense there are many parallels, whilst I wasn't coming home frozen from work to a tarp shelter in the woods, the frozen caravan is only slightly better than a tent until you get it warmed up, as soon as the heat dies it quickly chills down again. To this day I have a moth-type attraction to the heat & the light. People always complain that my house is too hot, but not the ones who've lived like that. Whilst there are many positives, the basics; keeping warm clean and presentable are the real challenge.

On the clothing front, Ross said;

What I was trying to say is that when it comes to actually being in the woods, especially when we are talking about longer trips, the gear selection has to be based on utility for the conditions that you will encounter. By that I not only mean weather conditions, but all of the requirement of the trip. It is not about what we like, or how we like to look, or anything along those lines.

I had a pathological hatred for PVC oilskins as a youth, but continual soakings made me realize, damp and warm is much better than wet and cold! A car, even better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE