wool dyeing help please

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
evening all, over the weekend iv been trying to dye my favorite wool coat, its currently bright red and black and a woolrich blend which i think is 85% wool 15% nylon very thick, my aim is to darken the red to a more brownish colour.
using a old plastic bin i first tried using a full pack of tea bags i left the coat in there for about 15 hours 8 of which the water was warm but to no joy the colour stayed the same, then today i tried again with a wool dye from wilcos i used 2 packets added salt etc, it said to give it 45 min and keep stirring i gave in alot longer but still no difference.
im wondering if there is a more suitable dye but theres too many to choose from.
id like to thank toddy and spandit for there previous help.
thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh that's not so good :sigh:

Well if none of that lot worked, I reckon your coat has some kind of proofing on it.
Washing it beforehand should have removed most things, but sometimes only dry cleaning takes out the factory administered proofings.

Wool should dye pretty easily with acid dyes, but then again, black and red are two bold deep colours and would be hard to overcome anyway.

Hopefully someone else who's managed to dye these colours of Woolrich will be along to advise.
Interested to hear what does work.

cheers,
Toddy

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i no, bit of a pain but learning along the way, iv contacted a dye seller on ebay so il see what they surgest, its too warm to ware at the moment so im in no rush ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE