Wool cloaks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rather than start a new thread, I'm just going to use this one to sell off the black wools, the 'Ready to Finish Cloak' packages and other assorted toiles as I clear the boxes in my workroom.

I am frankly struggling to handsew long lengths just now :sigh: It hurts. So, I'm not prepared to knacker the swollen joints, but will rest them, and if I can do so while clearing out and selling off the ready to finish stuff, I'll be contented for the present.
My hands and wrists are much better than they were even just a few weeks ago, and I am quietly confident that I will heal, just not sure how much. I enjoy sewing; I enjoy the mental puzzle of taking something 2D and making it fit well on a 3D person.
Cloaks are fun; they can be bullet proof, plain and warm, or they can have quirky details, hidden pockets, extra capes, masses of detail….it's each to their own on them :)

For Sale

Black wool cloak…..see post No.1 for more details.

On offer……beautiful black coat wool….sold to me as, "From Italy, meant for Burberry"….maybe it's very nice stuff anyway

If I cut out a cloak, and sew the hood and side seams, but don't finish the front facings (so you can line it for yourself if you want) or the hems (which take me hours to do)….good big double lined hood, loads of swish, long enough to reach the ankles on an adult of near six feet (too long on me, I need to cut off at the hem)…..£60 delivered and all fees included.

No 2. The wool is Hainsworth's heavyweight suiting (you just don't get better woven British stuff) but it's a tabby weave, again lovely stuff…..got a bargain from Maggie's Fabrics at £9 a metre plus postage, on that. This wool will need lined unless you want drapy summer/early autumn weight, the other one will happily do without.
The finished cloak will have a hem of nearly five metres.
On offer, is this wool, cut out and side seams and hood sewn as before, delivered and all fees for £50.

Sea and Sand….a totally reversible cloak toile. This one comes as a cloak with a band collar, and a seperate over cape and hood.
I was trying to find a way to make a totally reversible cloak but the intent was to do it with a caped cloak. Two parts was the only way I could manage it. It's very good though, very sound, and it is totally reversible. Sand coloured on one side and deep dark sea grey on the other. I doubled the hood, but not the cape. It kind of balances really well, and it made the hood warmer I think. This effectively doubled layered right across head and shoulders. I didn't make the hood huge, I made it so that when fastened it won't blow down :) I'm very pleased with this pattern I made, and if this one weren't a totally reversible one then I'd just machine finish it and sell it on for a couple of hundred.

It's a toile though, so though it's sound and all sewn together, the seams aren't finished flat felled, and the hem hasn't been sewn up. I have zigzagged all raw edges, so the cloak is wearable but the seams need work to stitch them fully over (think jeans seam, so that no raw edges show or contrasting colours) and my hands won't do it just now.
Beautiful quality wool, happy to send a sample, and if the rain ever goes off I'll take photos and post.
I will include both reels of thread and decent needles as well as the offcuts; there's enough for a hat from these with a little creative cutting, or really good 'strappings' for buttons or toggles or lacing.
£105 delivered, with all fees covered.

cheers,
Mary

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Mary,

Just to let you know that BB got her care package of wool and bits and is delighted with both quality and value.

Thanks again

H

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hugh, thank you :D
:eek: :eek: Himself just asked me if I'd minded to send you the tracking number, and I realised that I hadn't :eek: :eek: sorry, my fault entirely. The wee card is stuck beside my monitor to remind me too.

Glad it arrived safely, and more glad that BB's pleased :D

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you all :D

All cloaks now sold, and all parcels at the courier's drop off point, and it's back to redcoats and gaiters here :rolleyes:

I hope everyone's pleased with their cloaks, and fabric, but any problems or questions, please let me know ? and I'll do what I can to help.

I might offer these again later on, (after I clear up after the redcoats) and in different colours, but it'll be at the £150, not a clear the fabric, price, and the buyer will still need to sew the final hem to suit their own height/length.
In the meantime; thanks again to the buyers :D you've been great to work with :D

atb,
Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good thread & sales Toddy. Must admit I was slavering for one myself. Who knows maybe next time I'll have the bawbees.
Funny I'd been talking with a mate a while before.you put the thread up about cloaks and how its a pity they're not used much these days as they seem a practicle thing.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
its a pity they're not used much these days as they seem a practicle thing.

Its one of the greatest tragedies of this modern age mate, cloaks, capes, and full length coats are just not as cool in real life as they are in the films :( :lmao:

Seriously though, i wear a polish army poncho buttoned at the top like a cloak for hunting at night all winter long and it really is a superb garment
Wind/waterproof, warm like standing in a blanket, breaks up my outline, and i can even hide the rifle and n.v gear under there out of the rain
My cloak from toddy will perform that role to the point of luxury and much more besides :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do have a full length waxed drovers coat which I wear and use a lot. Love the thing and I at least think it's cool, also very practicle. When out for a daunder in soggy Scotland it keeps me warm and dry; neck to ankles. So a cloak I think I'd get away with. Folk think I'm odd here anyway.
Funnily on the "other uses" front there was a bar in a town I used to live in where if the bikers were wearing their long coats it was time to leave... They had nasty things hidden under there.
Hope you enjoy your cloak, would love to hear how you and others get on with them. Pictures too.
Hopefully I'll be able to afford one next time 'round.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
You crack on fella, everyone knows i'm on the odd side too so i don't let it stop me :D
I wear a couple of full length coats and love em. I'm a greasy biker and yep, i do have a traditional full length "duster" coat

I'll Deffo put a thread up on my toddy cloak when its done too. its too nice a garment not to.....as long as i don't ruin it :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, that's just the difference between most of the offerings out there that are truly dire, and those that are actually made to fit and be wearable, not just look cool in a Racquel Welch in a fur bikini pretending to be a 'cave-woman' type way.

A good cloak, a properly made and yes, it needs lots of fabric, cloak, is a very decent garment indeed. But if the fabrics too skimpy or there's stuff like leather in the wrong places, or drookit wet fur hanging around on it, (it's the UK, we are not high arctic, we are sodden wet a lot of the time and just gently damp the rest) or indeed metalwork that's too heavy and pulls it forward into a tripping hazard or a hood so massive that it chugs against your throat all the time, it's not a comfortable thing to wear.
Might 'look' cool, but if you actually want to wear it, then think hard about it, discuss the design, and we can easily balance things so that it becomes an absolutely brilliant thing to own :)
Riding cloaks, boat cloaks, cloaks for walking in, for sitting around a fire in, for cuddling up in, for policemen standing around on cold wet nights…which minds me I still have seven metres of genuine, pure wool, twill woven, British made, black Barathea :) Haven't quite decided what to make from it yet, but some of that's for my black cloak :D

Widest hem I've made yet was 40'….and bless her, Trisha sewed it up herself :…..once she stopped shrieking at me :rolleyes: she did say she wanted as much swish as I could build in :D

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Been meaning to ask M, how are you getting on with the redcoats and gaiters? Sounded like a heck.of a big order. Be good to see a couple of pictures if you have any to hand. Also be nice if some of the folks who bought cloaks could post up to, be nice to see how they are in action; or in the back-greenie anyway. :D
Hope the fingers have recovered?
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE