Wool cloaks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Long story, but we're kind of up to our eyeballs in redcoats for the 1815 commemoration stuff and we need to make wool gaiters. Black wool gaiters to be precise.

Getting hold of the 'right' black wool has been an exercise in major frustration.
We have some absolutely beautiful black wools right enough, just not the right stuff for gaiters.

So, now having 12m of the wrong for gaiters black wool underfoot (while trying to clear the decks of bolts of red, green, gold, white as well as a couple of dozen kilts) I would dearly like to sell it on.

On offer……beautiful black coat wool….sold to us as, "From Italy, meant for Burberry"….maybe :dunno: it's very nice stuff anyway :D

If I cut out a cloak, and sew the hood and side seams, but don't finish the front facings (so you can line it for yourself if you want) or the hems (which take me hours to do)….good big double lined hood, loads of swish, long enough to reach the ankles on an adult of near six feet (too long on me, I need to cut off at the hem)…..£60 delivered and all fees included.

From this particular Italian wool I will manage two cloaks like that.

The other wool is Hainsworth's heavyweight suiting (you just don't get better woven British stuff) but it's a tabby weave, again lovely stuff…..got a bargain from Maggie's Fabrics at £9 a metre plus postage, on that. This wool will need lined unless you want drapy summer/early autumn weight, the other one will happily do without.
On offer, is this wool, cut out and side seams and hood sewn as before, delivered and all fees for £50.

I know it's too early for Hallowe'en, but it's worth me taking a loss on my time, etc., to clear space on these.

Thanks for reading :D
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oi!….I'm too wee to be Darth Vader :D

Think more Scottish Widows on the cloak :cool:

Twodogs, you aren't far wrong. I jest you not right now there's 30metres of fabric on my kitchen table and we're all eating with plates on our laps :eek:

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thinking on it; the Italian black wool would make a really comfortable bushshirt. Just black though. It's melton on one side and tight fulled the other. I hot washed and tumble dried a sample, hoping it would felt and thicken up for the gaiters, and it didn't budge a mm. Happy to discuss selling it in 2m lengths at 60" (150cms) wide, if that would suit better than a cloak ?

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was thinking of my daughter for a present. Despite having degrees from two universities, she would LOVE a Gryffindor cloak :)

I see myself as a Hufflepuff BTW!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aragon's cloak's skimpy compared to this stuff :)

As an alternative I would also be happy to cut out a 'Druid's Robe' from it if someone would prefer that. Again, I'm not sewing more than the most basic of it though. Call it 'ready to finish' rather than "Ready to Wear", though the cloak would do if you weren't fussed. It won't fray put it that way.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's amazing just how many of them I am asked to make. Properly shaped ones, that actually do close over at the chest and don't chug the neck off the wearer, are really comfortable. Quite dressy too if that's the choice, but for sitting around a fire, either indoors or out, they're really superb.
Being wool too, there's no worry about stuff like fleece or cotton going up in flames from a spark.

That minds me; weirdest thing I'd seen in ages….a lady wearing a cloak brushed against a lit candle, and flames crawled all over her and then went out. The lady had sprayed herself with perfume before she left home, and it was that which caught the spark. Kind of cool and scary at the same time, iimmc.

M

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I bet my wife would love a wizards style hooded cloak in purple..

Do you have pictures of the designs you normally make or the ones you are describing??

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Can you think of an example of the material?....i'm afraid the terminology and weight values mean nothing to me :(

I'm guessing these would be good as a learners project with room for a bit of modding?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can you think of an example of the material?....i'm afraid the terminology and weight values mean nothing to me :(

I'm guessing these would be good as a learners project with room for a bit of modding?

They would indeed.
If you're really interested in trying it, I have to post two samples anyway tomorrow, if you pm me your name and address I'll post one to you too.

This link is to a rather poor sketch of the Basic Cloak design that I would happily cut out in these wools.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72834
Normally I charge from £150 upwards for a cloak, (and that price is basic, no individual quirks, no silk linings, no hidden pockets, embroidery, appliqué, or felting) so this offer is literally a bargain, especially with wools of these qualities.

The Italian wool should cost upwards of £40 a metre. I didn't pay that, but I buy a lot of fabric and the wholesaler gives me a tidy discount :)

The cloak will be wearable as is, though unfinished, and I will happily write out instructions for finishing it, or help with suggestions for making it unique…..pockets, slits, hems, and I'll include the scraps from the cutting out of your yardage too.
I really do just want to clear the decks.

I've just spent four hours making all the 'loops' from the wool tape for a Highland Regiment's c1815 jacket….that's 37 individual pieces. Even I get fed up hand sewing :eek:

atb,
Mary

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I was thinking of my daughter for a present. Despite having degrees from two universities, she would LOVE a Gryffindor cloak :)

I see myself as a Hufflepuff BTW!

If she's a big Harry Potter movie fan then I would recommend the studio tour. I've recently been with my wife and truly mind blowing the amount of detail that went into those films.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
She did one of the earliest reviews for her blog having been invited to a preview :)

She agreed with your assessment and has paid to go back :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE