Wool as a quilting material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I was wondering about the practicalities of using carded wool as a batting/qulting material in place of the more conventional synthetics -- as clothing or bedding. At least one company offers a wool-stuffed bedroll. I'd have thought it would be quite warm, comparable with any modern 'wonder' synthetic, though it would be rather heavy if it got wet.

Any advantages over synthetic other than the fact it's not petroleum based and heavilly refined? I guess it's be quite fire retardant though that'd only matter once the cover is burned through :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used a wool blanket in my hammock for a couple of nights Matt and I was pleasantly surprised how warm it kept me. It was late April though with night temps around 10* so not much of a test.
I suppose it doesn't compress like a synthetic or down layer so it doesn't lose much of its insulating properties. If you've ever packed a wool blanket you'll know they don't pack down well though, it's the same with my Swannie and Bison shirts too.
I'd say it would work well for quilting if you can cope with the bulk.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
IIRC there was a couple on that "my dream farm" show that started making wool filled duvets, Monty Don was quite impressed with them. The show was really good, showed the farm, the mill that did the carding and the end product dont know if it took off or not.

i think it was the first episode in the series

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
When I was growing up we had patchwork quilts (duvets I suppose) filled with wool, scraps of material, down etc.

Very, very warm and very, very heavy, once tucked in with that, you couldn't get out of bed until you were rescued to light the fire.

Don't know how expensive it is, but it's going to be warm. The weight of it is it's downside, even when it's dry.

Wool was very common in my childhood, synthetics in my children's.

Anyone remember the woolen swimming trunks? - nightmare.

I'll be watching this "thread" with interest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE