Woodworking without a garden/shed

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all,

As much as I love being outdoors there are often times (mainly the wife) I can't get out an about but want to do a bit of carving etc...

Now living in a flat means I have no workshop/shed/garden to practice my hobbies and the living room/bedroom/kitchen are out of the question (the wife again) so I decided to set up a mini workshop up in the loft!

It's big enough to do some medium sized carving and means I have also have all my bushcraft gear close to hand (u guessed it the wife again).

Does anyone else have a similar problem and if so have you found any other ways round it?

Cheers, Hamster
4d607d74-016f-5468.jpg

4d607d74-017c-60dc.jpg

4d607d74-0187-90f1.jpg

4d607d74-01af-32a7.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wish my loft was big enough!
You can only crawl through ours.... so I had to take over the spare bedroon, garage and 3/4 of the living room! :D

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
We all need a bit of space. Ive taken over a few choice spots for similar reasons.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL dont step back to admire your work and end up in the lounge.....I wouldnt be doing much axe work up there, axe chips getting in among the insulation, etc, hassles keeping it tidy and not a fire risk with that flue exposed (bad enough keeping tidy on a good flat concrete floor). Maybe do the heaviest cuts outside then go upstairs to do the finer work with knife etc? Alternatively, possibly stick your kit in the car and drive out somewhere peaceful, send your wife out to the shops:) Like they say where theres a will theres a way.....good luck with your projects

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Dude the misses gotta respect your hobby a bit more it seems, and that what they call love letting their husband desert to the Loft in a dark space, I'm just saying love should enlarge your possibilities not restrict them. Though seeing I'm still living with my parent I have a thing called mom, that has some similar harassment features, So what I did is I created myself a room, so all I'm saying is make that loft of yours a paradise ^^, add yourself a fridge, maybe if it will fit and yer feeling crazy fit a hottub in there, that '' ll make the bitches jealous and you'll have a spot called heaven to retreat to

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
thats cool, sadly my sheds are filled with bikes so i have to use my kitchen when the wife is out lol,

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I too live in a cardboard box ( I mean flat) and if I started using the living room or bedroom swmbo would get me making a large box called a coffin. I've taken over the Bon cupboard and have a nice mobile bench. But on cold days nothing really gets done.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good grief - you lot need to train your women folk better!
TELL them where and when you will be doing bushy stuff, livingroom/bedroom/kitchen whatever!
Put the TV in the loft and tell them that they can watch their soaps/reality shows etc up there!

Then start packing so you are ready to go when they kick you out! :D

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Good grief - you lot need to train your women folk better!
TELL them where and when you will be doing bushy stuff, livingroom/bedroom/kitchen whatever!
Put the TV in the loft and tell them that they can watch their soaps/reality shows etc up there!
im with john on this, put your foot down,

Then start packing so you are ready to go when they kick you out! :D

i'm a lucky one in that i have a workshop, but it was not always like that, we had an understanding me and her indoors, that as long as i cleaned up what ever mess that i made, then it was fine, which i think is fair.
take care.
lee.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
To be honest I work hard six days a week and do what i like with my spare time.it may sound selfish but life is short.plenty of understanding women out there.if my money paid the rent and bills I wouldn't be in the attic.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
We just brought a cottage so I now have paved area and small shed to call my own happy bunny now got a chiminea and will be getting a frontier stove soon to

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Happiness is a lady who likes me for my carving :) I use the yard for storing timber and axe and saw-work and whittle in the lounge. Old leather sofa and laminate floor make sweeping up easy and the shavings go straight in the wood stove.

I sympathise with the flat-living difficulties but surely the noise of someone using and axe onto a block must go right through the ceiling! Nice set of axes btw :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose I'm lucky (or maybe I really earned it) I stayed in the Air Force long enough to retire so I still have access to all the hobby shops on base: The wood hobby shop, the auto hobby shop, the aero club, the stables, the rifle & pistol club, the base pool, the gym, etc. I generally make good use of them. Not the stables yet, as I still cain't afford a horse; for now anyway. Or the aero club as I haven't been able to afford to fly for a while either.

Biker

Best thing about woodworking in the loft is that it is so easy to keep tidy. You just sweep all the shavings down the hole in the floor.

Easy.

:rolleyes:

LOL!!!

I had a similar set up years ago. Made myself desk, bookshelves and several flourescent lights and it was a great little art studio for me. Really clever thinking about using the loft, seems a waste of space if not used and there's SO much potential for expanding out and taking up more floor space there, even a hammock. Or owuld that hack off the wife too much?

Anyway nice set up mate. Like has been said I'm not sure I'd want to be banging away with an axe o a stump like that in the loft but you must know where it's best to do so without risking the celing coming down underneath.

Top tip: Whatever you make up there make sure you can get it out of the loft hatch once it's assembled. unlike the bloke who built a boat in his basement then discovered he couldn't get the b1oody thing out.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Make sure you wear a mask if there is fibreglass floating around in the air if you have to be up there.

I think your wife is being unreasonable though and agree with the others who say if your paying the bills then it's your place to do with how you like. Store your gear up there by all means but find yourself a nice corner of your home and carve away!

Steve.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Have you thought of an allotment? When we did have one, we often used to have fires and do "bushcrafty" bits down there in between weeding...
Luckily have a garden now, but if I'm carving/whittling in the house I have a large plastic trug bucket for shavings and clean up after...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE