Woodturning Lathe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 23, 2006
west midlands
Keep your eyes open for secondhand kit- it seems lots of chaps take up woodturning as a retirement hobby then it sits in a shed.....and in due course ends up on the market. Most of my stuff has come this way and you tend to get lots of the tools etc thrown in. Hobby lathes tend to need to be very securely bolted down to stop vibration problems, have you thought about a pole lathe? much cheaper and green wood is really nice to turn-none of that nasty dust or noise!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I dont see why you cant turn small bowls on it.It looks ok to me.I managed to pick up a record lathe for £60.An old boy had bought it brand new thought better of it and sold it to me for a song!I also have pole lathe which was fun to build and use....and cheaper...

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I'd agree with sevencounties about the bed length - 17" isn't much. Also, you need to see if you can get one with the capacity for attaching a left-hand threaded faceplate outboard - this usually gives you the capacity to turn larger diameter bowls.

We use these in my school workshop - they are standard issue in schools and many people who turn learned on them:
http://www.machines4wood.com/mall/productpage.cfm/scottandsargeant/11416/81348

Sadly (for the kids) a lot of schools are getting rid of them but luckily (for you) they often turn up at auction as school DT departments try to raise desperately needed cash. Cracking machines that can take a lot of abuse - although you might need to buy a three phase converter as well.

'Course, what's wrong with a pole lathe...:)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Yes, you can turn bowls or plates up to 240mm/9 1/2" on it; a chair leg is about 440mm long, just measured mine! and thats what you can turn between point. Also you can turn objects up to 43" with the extension. It's not a particularly powerful motor but it's quite a good little machine for the price and what it can do. Changing the speed can be a bit of a pain, it's a belt and pulleys, like on a pillar drill.

Don't forget you will need tools, that'll bumps the price up a bit!

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Thanks everybody, the clarke one looks better, will see what Santa says, i have some chisels already, hopefully Santa says yes.

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
I'd have to agree with previous posters about going for a used one (full size).
You grow into it not out of it ;)

I ended up doing stuff for the council and churches after 2 yrs, it's a great skill to learn and I'd hate to have a 'dig in' on a little 375w job :D

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
You can turn tiny things on a big lathe, but you can't turn big things on a tiny lathe.

I burned up a small cheap lathe then waited until I could find a nice old big lathe. I am very happy with it.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Unfortunately at the moment im a bit tight for space and santa wont stretch enough for a large one so i think i will go for the Clarke one, i only plan on turning smallish things anyway and if i manage to make anything worth while i can sell them and save for a larger one, need a bigger shed too!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE