Woodsman X vs Blackbird

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Decisions, Decisions. I'm stuck between choosing one of these two hammocks.

I like the designs/feature of both of them, A big plus for the Woodsman X is that its British made, British sold, much lighter and fully convertible. The blackbird seems to have a better foot box system, a shelf and is generally more sought after.

I'm looking for some opinions from people who have used one or preferably both, which one they prefer and why.

Any and all replies are much appreciated.

Adam.

Last edited:

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I have a Woodsman X, mainly because the blackbird wasn't available. I like it, but find that I rarely use the bug net, for me it's best set with the foot end 6~8" higher than the head end and I don't bother with the foot sag cord. It was nice to buy British and Mat is great to deal with. I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I have a Woodsman X, mainly because the blackbird wasn't available. I like it, but find that I rarely use the bug net, for me it's best set with the foot end 6~8" higher than the head end and I don't bother with the foot sag cord. It was nice to buy British and Mat is great to deal with. I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

I do like the Woodsman, especially for the weight. I also like the Blackbird but just scared of customs hitting me with duty plus parcelforce charges.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I do like the Woodsman, especially for the weight. I also like the Blackbird but just scared of customs hitting me with duty plus parcelforce charges.
You could wait for Mat to get them back in stock, I don't think Mat adds much to the cost & it would probably be cheaper in the long run especially if you're hit by the customs lottery. I bought my Mamajamba tarp from Mat, which when I bought it was about evens considering delivery cost from the states and the customs potential.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
You could wait for Mat to get them back in stock, I don't think Mat adds much to the cost & it would probably be cheaper in the long run especially if you're hit by the customs lottery. I bought my Mamajamba tarp from Mat, which when I bought it was about evens considering delivery cost from the states and the customs potential.

I went ahead and ordered from Warbonnet site, Mat said they would be in stock in about 2 weeks but as far as I remember I asked him same few weeks back and got same answer so instead of waiting for teh 2 weeks and chance of still not been back in stock I ordered direct, will cost a lot more but I am too eager to have the hammock. I used the priority express delivery which according to USPS should take upto 5 business days to UK :)

Cant wait to get rid of manflu so I can get out in the Blackbird and new Superfly tarp :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi, I have got the black bird, tbh so far I'm not too keen, but I've only spent 3 nights in it, and I'm not entirely sure I had it set up correctly
. I certainly didn't have the sides pegged out as we were hanging on quite a steep slope so it didn't really make any sense.
I am basing it on my old dd frontline which I felt was a lot more comfortable. But all is not lost, I need to get out there practicing with the bb to get it pitched right!!
I also have the superfly tarp and think it's an amazing bit of kit!! It replaced a dd 3 x 3 and I'm really glad I made the switch!!
The weight and pack size are spot on!!
Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
It definitely takes experimentation to get the setup 'just so'. But for consistent quality sleep they are good. I am finding that I'm going further afield and higher up the hills, so I may end up selling my set up due to lack of trees where I now tend to camp.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi, I have got the black bird, tbh so far I'm not too keen, but I've only spent 3 nights in it, and I'm not entirely sure I had it set up correctly
. I certainly didn't have the sides pegged out as we were hanging on quite a steep slope so it didn't really make any sense.
I am basing it on my old dd frontline which I felt was a lot more comfortable. But all is not lost, I need to get out there practicing with the bb to get it pitched right!!
I also have the superfly tarp and think it's an amazing bit of kit!! It replaced a dd 3 x 3 and I'm really glad I made the switch!!
The weight and pack size are spot on!!
Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You watched this vid?

[video=youtube;YgqbxZLV4RU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgqbxZLV4RU[/video]

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Things that helped me with my decision yesterday (read from the bottom):

Mathew Howes
06:53 (18 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Everything,
Hammock, RL org, bishop bag, straps, Whoopie slings, toggles.

Just place the order on the webshop, they all come unsealed now when we make them

Regards

Mat Howes

+447590621113

On 6 Feb 2014, at 00:16, Matthew Szklanny <mattbigmonster@gmail.com> wrote:

Ok, one last question.

What exactly is included with the hammock? Ridge line? Ridgeline organiser? Bishop bag? What type/what elements of the susspention?

And how do I order one that is not sealed.

Thanks

On 5 February 2014 20:02, Mathew Howes <mathewhowes@sky.com> wrote:
Lol...you will notice a huge difference!
We make expedition hammocks for the worlds Elite, you will experience no shoulder squeeze or leg discomfort... Our hammocks are designed to be lived in for periods of 6+ months at a time in the worlds most extreme environments, I promise you won't regret your hammock purchase...

Regards

Mat Howes

+447590621113

On 5 Feb 2014, at 19:59, Matthew Szklanny <mattbigmonster@gmail.com> wrote:

One more doubt. I'm giving up on the dd hammock because of two things, knee pain and shoulder squeeze (I'm 17 stone...), the asymetric lay should solve the first issue, what about the second one? I love the idea of the hammock and it just feels right, but if the woodsman won't work I will have to give up...

On 5 February 2014 19:29, Mathew Howes <mathewhowes@sky.com> wrote:
Ok-
Yes you will fit no problem,

There is no need for closure as the tension on the fabric 'sandwich' will hold your mat (which will also fit fine).

The foot sag cannot be ambidextrous as the net is cut to mirror the shape of the hammock, if it were on both sides your net would be saggy and all over the place..

Hope this all helps.

Regards

Mat Howes

+447590621113

> On 5 Feb 2014, at 19:26, Matthew <mattbigmonster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You have received a new enquiry:
>
> Data:
> ------------
> Customer ID:
> Name: Matthew
> E-mail address: mattbigmonster@gmail.com
>
>
> Enquiry:
> --------------
> Subject: woodsman x double
>
> Hi there.
> I'm about to purchase this hammock. Few questions though:
>
> 1. I'm 6'4'', will I fit?
> 2. I would like to use it with my exped XL self inflating mat (197cm x
> 65cm x 3.8cm), will it fit and does "unsealed" hammock have any closure
> like velcro or snaps?
> 3. is it possible to put that fixing point for the foot box cord on both
> sides to make it ambidextrous?
>
> Thank you.

So:
-you are getting a complete package with no need to spend extra on upgrades/acessories,
-40 pounds difference in price,
-slightly less weight/bulk,
-service/warranty closer to you (I have spammed/bothered Mat with questions half the night and he answered instantly in a friendly professional manner, that kind of service alone is a good enough reason for me to choose his product).
-also woodsman x is in my unconfirmed yet opinion better when converted as a camp chair/standard chilling hammock (smart, clean and elegant design does appeal to me).

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Things that helped me with my decision yesterday (read from the bottom):

So:
-you are getting a complete package with no need to spend extra on upgrades/acessories,
-40 pounds difference in price,
-slightly less weight/bulk,
-service/warranty closer to you (I have spammed/bothered Mat with questions half the night and he answered instantly in a friendly professional manner, that kind of service alone is a good enough reason for me to choose his product).
-also woodsman x is in my unconfirmed yet opinion better when converted as a camp chair/standard chilling hammock (smart, clean and elegant design does appeal to me).

I really struggled with my decision as I really liked both designs but in the end decided to swallow the extra postage/duty costs simply because of how amazingly highly rated the BB's are and because I like the footbox design better and of course its built in shelf.

I have however ordered some items from UK hammocks like EDC hammock for a gear loft and will be ordering a UQ soon :)

Last edited:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Well general opinion seems to be "you won't be dissapointed with either". Maybe one day (moot?) we can do side by side comparison :)

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Interesting debate, and I can see why it's difficult to choose, however I will nearly always go with a more local company, and therefore I would choose the Woodsman. Will be interesting to see them side by side though.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire

+1 here i have one and its ace.

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
For anyone reading tbe thread I have seen a nice hennessy expedition hammock in the swap section (free bump if allowed)

I have both, and although haven't used the woodsman x in anger yet I've had a close look and am impressed with it. Solid construction, good idea and execution. I particularly like the fact you can zip away the bug net and unclip the footbox sag cord to make it a standard gathered end hammock. I'm not 100% convinced with the footbox cord as the few times I've got in and out it has unclipped itself.

Ive had the blackbird for a few years and LOVE IT. I have had a hennessy and quite a few other gathered end hammocks over the years and none come close. The footbox is great and does exactly the job its designed for, the shelf is really good and well designed. The only things I do differently is sometimes not peg out the hammock on the zip side as it inhibits getting and out a little. I've used it with the bug net unzipped and drawn back and its no different to any other hammock in this sense.

In my opinion, the blackbird is the best hammock on the market for its design features, I've probably spent over 100 nights in mine without any problems and always a great sleep. The woodsman x looks good, but only a prolonged test will tell if it's as good as the blackbird. I have high expectations...

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
For anyone reading tbe thread I have seen a nice hennessy expedition hammock in the swap section (free bump if allowed)

I don't really see how that has any relevance to this thread??

I have both, and although haven't used the woodsman x in anger yet I've had a close look and am impressed with it. Solid construction, good idea and execution. I particularly like the fact you can zip away the bug net and unclip the footbox sag cord to make it a standard gathered end hammock. I'm not 100% convinced with the footbox cord as the few times I've got in and out it has unclipped itself.

Ive had the blackbird for a few years and LOVE IT. I have had a hennessy and quite a few other gathered end hammocks over the years and none come close. The footbox is great and does exactly the job its designed for, the shelf is really good and well designed. The only things I do differently is sometimes not peg out the hammock on the zip side as it inhibits getting and out a little. I've used it with the bug net unzipped and drawn back and its no different to any other hammock in this sense.

In my opinion, the blackbird is the best hammock on the market for its design features, I've probably spent over 100 nights in mine without any problems and always a great sleep. The woodsman x looks good, but only a prolonged test will tell if it's as good as the blackbird. I have high expectations...

Thnx bud, Its great to hear from somebody who has/has used both, I may even get a WoodsmanX too just so I can have a go in both as I do really like the design of both for different reasons, it was avery hard choice but I am glad that I opted for the BB first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE