Woods 13-6-2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed a great day out in the sunshine today with me old muckers Hugo & Rockmonkey, was quite a sharfty day all in all,

Walking in, im hanging back as i was trying to locate some wild greens that i could have with my lunch, more on that later

DSCN6286.jpg

Found a few on the way in, but also so not so nice ones mixed in with them too, the pic is a generalised photo of the forest floor.

DSCN6288.jpg

Got to our favoured area and while RM & Hugo got the kettle on, i went for a bit of a forage, found some lovely Jelly ears

DSCN6289.jpg

To these we added some young Beech leaves, nettle tops, Elder flower buds and Elder flowers (the flowers were for afters:)), i also had some Ground Ivy and Mallow leaves to add to the mix (not pictured)

DSCN6291.jpg

The Jelly ears were cooked down, be careful if you fry them down as they spit like crazy, to the ears i added the greens which i rough shredded, then i added the eggs, not foraged im afraid, well unless foraging them from Tesco's counts?,

DSCN6296.jpg

a short time later we had a nice wild greens and shroom omelette for lunch, have to admit it was very tasty

DSCN6300.jpg

after the wild green one, we cooked up a mushroom omelette

DSCN6301.jpg

Then is was time for the desert course, in the form of apple pancakes and elder flower pancakes - very tasty

DSCN6302.jpg

Once the decks had been cleared i made a start on making some nettle cordage

DSCN6306.jpg

DSCN6303.jpg

Hugo, took it easy in the sunshine

DSCN6308.jpg

Rockmonkey went off and well, climbed the Clematis vines:)

DSCN6313.jpg

and then made himself a spear

DSCN6321.jpg

DSCN6324.jpg

DSCN6325.jpg

and then used it to keep the evil Trolls away

DSCN6318.jpg

on top of all this, we also did a bit of spoon carving, drank litres of tea & coffee, i pratted around with a ferro and some magnesium for a while, ok a long while, we also collected some materials and generally chin wagged all day, oh yes, i had a hunt for some Iron Pyrite and found three bits

DSCN6311.jpg

also found this superb piece of Ivy in a natural knot form

DSCN6317.jpg

all in all a great day out with the lads, loads of laughs and lots of mickey taking, roll on next time:)

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Good day out mate, with good company as always, can't wait for the group gathering at Broadstone next week.
Thanks for being chef again, gave me time to chill out for a while.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I want to come out and play too!

Seriously, thanks for sharing that with us Kepi. I spent the last 2 evenings on a batch of your recipe elderflower champers - it's going to be a long 10 days waiting now!

Dave

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Kepis
You've piqued my interest in the wild greens. Re: nettle tops. Presumably the top couple of pairs of leaves are taken as they are the newest? When frying is there any special treatment to neutralise the stings? I shall have a go at the omlette this w/e if it's straight forward.
PS the double ended sacks work brilliantly with my Hennessey Hammock and Hex Fly (my snakeskins are now redundant)
Alan

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps, was a superb day out

@Martinidave - welcome to join us anytime you are down this way, let us know how the Champagne works out

@Humpback - your right, just take the freshest leaves from the tip of the plant, the stings are gone as soon as the heat hits them, glad the sacks are working out well for you.

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Damn great day out yesterday Boys!!!
Very crafty indeed, with some mighty fine grub to boot.......
Think i left my spoon up there!, might still be there next time if the trolls don't nick it!!!:lmao:
Good laughs, good company!
Roll on next week!!!!!
RM

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well carve another one then, and be even more crafty.
Cheers for the company Hayden mate, and the many brews.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
If you do tie it to your jacket so as not to loose it,some Australian bloke told me that.
Roast chicken would be good one day at one of our usual haunts.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Kepis,

Thanks for the kind offer, prehaps one day I'll make it down there.

The elder champers has turned out really well. We've still got elderflower on the more sheltered bushes up this way so I'll be doing another batch at the weekend all being well.

All the best mate.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE