Woodpecker heard, not Spotted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Never knowlingly seen a Manx Sheerwater...sounds fab if a bit mad :)

One of my favourites is Lapwing aerobatic stunts....thats incredible to see - how they don't end up impaled on the ground I will never know?

Heres a couple of GSWs for you

GSW by British Red, on Flickr

Woodpecker by British Red, on Flickr
Beautiful photo's, we get a pair of these in the garden on the peanuts but up to yet I haven't managed a good photograph. They are incredibly nervous.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One of my brothers was working in a house with a big window on each side of the building so it looked like it was open all the way through to a bird.
One day when he was there he heard a loud bang and there was a woodpecker lying on the grass by the window. He had a look at it and left it for a while as it was still breathing but stunned.
After a while he want back to it as he was packing his tools up and picked it up to see how it was getting on, it seemed to recover a good bit and perked up. It climbed up his arm to his shoulder and stayed there. He said it got a hell of a grip and wouldn't let go. Just stayed there next to his ear.
Stayed on his shoulder while he packed his tools up and after about fifteen or twenty mins it perked up enough that it could fly off into a nearby tree.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thats quite unusual Miyagi - Greens do drum - but rarely and its quite a faint noise in my experience compared to a Greater Spotted - lucky you for hearing it :)

I assume it was one of these?

Green Woodpecker by British Red, on Flickr

Yep, it had green wings.

Dunno if that's normal for up here in the Forth valley or not. Its taken me 45 years to see one anyway.

Lapwings, we have loads of them and I agree they whoop whoop and do some amazing "stalls".

Liam

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've only seen them since I moved up here. Heard the first one of the year a few weeks ago and got sight of one this morning whilst out walking.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its funny the things we are excited by....or take for granted. I was dead chuffed when I saw my first Red Kite down South....and I think many Welsh guys were bemused.

Had the pleasure of being the nonchalant one recently when a group of us were out on the salt marshes and someone asked "whats that bird" to which I replied "hmmm oh, marsh harrier". Cue spluttery response from the bird watcher. They are quite common here though (well as common as anything can be that has a few hundred pairs in Britain).

I was delighted though when I first saw a field full of curlews....quite the sight for a moors and forest lad....farmer was amused and referred to them as "whistly bendy beaks" which I must admit is now my pet name for them. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I was a kid I used to see Red Cockaded Woodpeckers on a reasonably regular basis. They were a bit of a treat but not really unusual. Now it's rare indeed.

Love the woodpecker pics BR - nice work :You_Rock_

With "drumming" woodpeckers you can call them in to you - I've had three no more than 6 feet from me and I have also found that other birds, such as nuthatches, will also either respond or come in close for a look- this has also included a family of tree creepers.

I tend to lean against a dead standing small diameter tree - obviously checking overhead dangers or and braches that could fall, once in place I knock on the tree in bursts of rapid drumming and I've found a pebble works the best.

Generally I've found the GSWs respond with a drumming in the distance and move in, however I have had it where a pair of GSW's came straight in an perched on the bark of an oak right in front of me.

Have patience and don't expect instant results and I hppe you are rewarded with a encounter of one of these amazing birds.

On another note - I had the pleasure of watching a pair of GW's rear their young two years ago at on of our teaching sites. I sat under the ash tree they were nesting in a watched them fledge - amazing experience and I managed a couple of picture too:-

green_woodpecker_1.jpg

The article is here http://www.badgerbushcraft.com/fauna/what-does-a-fledgling-green-woodpecker-look-like.htm with other pictures if anyone is interested.

All the best,

Phil.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I was sat in a friends house admiring their bird table and the many birds they had when all of a sudden up pops a GSW. He visited again but he literally grabbed a few seeds then was away. Made me laugh after this discussion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE