WOODLORE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hey

Is there anyone in here that has been to a woodlore course? Which one? Is it good?

How did you learn to purify water? I learned that one layer of moss, one layer of charcoal and finally one layer of moss again, will clean it!? :idea: :arrow:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
TheViking said:
I learned that one layer of moss, one layer of charcoal and finally one layer of moss again, will clean it!? :idea: :arrow:

IT WILL NOT PURIFY IT!!!!!!!! it will go some way to filtering it but thats all
if you want it purified boil it

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The review that I wrote about the Woodlore Course is up in the review area. Have a look there.

I enjoyed the course. It was really good at going through the basics. The only down side is the length of time to wait between booking the course and going on it. They sell out early. Some people do drop out so places do become available.

Anyway, in the time between my booking a place and attending the course I made an effort and read Ray's Survival Handbook and Bushcraft books several times...err...ok...probably about 6-7 times each. I guess that it was useful, but it did lessen some of the magic of discovery on the actual course.

That moss and charcoal filter is great....if you have a cola bottle, some charcoal, some nice moss, plenty of time on your hands and you have lost your real filter. Like so many bushcrafty solutions it is more of a last ditch wilderness living solution than a traveling/camping light solution. A Millbank will do the same thing without so much hassle.

I have just got a ceramic water filter. In theory that will take the place of boiling, which can be less than convenient at times.
Edited: It does not take the place of boiling as it won't kill viruses, however there are many places in both the USA and Europe where virus contamination is not considered a high risk. Filters will remove bateria, cysts, protozoa and some will remove chemicals too but without the chemical back up you have to be careful. Sorry that I mispoke a little. Given that you can get through 3-4 litres a day without much difficulty, boiling in a 1l billy can be a real pain, especially as the water needs to cool a bit before you can put in a plastic canteen!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've done a couple of woodlore courses, specifically the introduction to bushcraft, and the fundamental. I thoroughly enjoyed both and would recomend them to anyone. As Chris has said there is usually a long wait, but cancellations are available.

As for the water, Nomad and Chris are both spot on. After a couple of days where you have to filter and boil you water you will never take a tap for granted again!

Dave

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have just got a ceramic water filter. In theory that will take the place of boiling, which can be less than convenient at times.

A filter will not remove viruses, only boiling or chemical treatment will do that

a filter is a pump that filters out any matter larger than its pore size usually between 2-5 microns, a purifyer is a pump with a filter that also contains a chemical element to kill all biological agents in the water

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
If you want to filter and purify your water you need something like the PRE-MAC RANGE - most other filters are only filters.

Also remember if using puritabs or iodine allow for the contact time and avoid uv.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I use a milbank bag (aquired from Bushbasher) and then boil for my purification needs- recently bought one of those light collapsable pltypus bottles- you can fill it, put it in a billy of water and boil in the bag! Saves time for cooling before travel. I have not tested this yet and am guessing you will need to leave the lid off till after boiling to prevent tearing the bag but still should save time.

Blue Sky, Jim. :eek:\\:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The only thing to be wary of there is that by filling it with contaminated water and then boiling it you might not kill any 'bugs' sitting on the threads, cap ect.

Also boiling can concentrate some chemical pollutants - boiling in a bag might do the same to some nasties that might otherwise evaporate.

Lastly remember with a clear bottle or bladder chemical purification is negated by the sunny light its exposed to.

C

chugnut7

Just came back from the fundamental course. Well worth doing, one of the best things I have ever done - but don't expect to take it easy. You're kept on the go all the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE