woodlore june 2007

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Nice pictures!

I'd guess this was the "Fundamental Bushcraft" course?

Looks to have been a bit drier than my course in 2006. Still, I can't complain, as I had nice dry weather for my Journeyman Course this year!

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Hi Jameshs,

Yes, I was on your course.............In the course photo I'm the one kneeling next to you in the snugpak jacket! I can PM you with all the first names if you wish?

No ill effects from the course, aside from an overwhelming desire to buy a wood and loch in Scotland! Hope all's well with you and yours?

All the best.

jameshs

Oct 23, 2007
London
guessed as much

sadly most of the weight loss (4.5 kilos!) has crept back on :)

Looking for the next adventure in the woods!

Hope you are keeping well.

James

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I did mine last May (the one where it poured down hard for the whole week!). Thoroughly enjoyed it! As for knives, they issue you with a Frosts Clipper and they prefer that you use it on the course, so that everyone is operating with the same cutting tool. There was no mickey-taking at all on my course. Sure there were some gags and "insightful comments" from the staff, but always to a good end and never ever were they malicious. Don't bother taking an axe or parang - you won't be allowed to use it (except maybe if you've done the campcraft course). Any heavy cutting will be done by the staff. If you've got a folding saw and a crook / hook / spoon knife, take it along. A foam sit-mat is a good idea. There's a fair amount of sitting on logs around the camp fire, carving, making cordage, etc and it helps to reduce the numb-bum!

Tent, Hammock or Tarp, it's up to you. I tarp'd and bivi bag'd it for the week, but sometimes I did wish I'd taken a tent - especially when I woke up to find a HUGE grey tree slug had crawled into my mouth! Yeeuukkk!

You'll spend 2 or 3 nights under a tarp anyway. They supply a Aussie hootchie style tarp and used to supply a British Army bivi bag for that part of the course, but I gather you have to take your own bivi bag nowadays.

If you're getting there by public transport, take a change of clothes for the homeward trip and seal them up in a plastic bag to change into after the final assessment. There was a camp shower for a freshen up, but I was still minging by the end of the week! I took far too many clothes - If I was going again I'd only take one "change" of clothes in addition to what I would wear down to the course, plus the going home set. Socks & underpants are a matter for you to decide!

The course is alcohol free (alcohol & sharp knives - never a good mix), so don't bother taking a crate with you - although I did take my hip flask for a nightly nightcap!

Food was all provided and I never went hungry, although I'd take some extra sweeties as comfort food .

Head torch and spare batteries is a good plan.

Gloves a good thing too - nettle cordage and hot billycans - OUCH!

The course varies a little from course to course, depending on who's leading it, but you will certainly be doing fire by friction (bowdrill) and "one match" firelighting. Making cordage and carving a spoon will almost certainly feature, as will some basic plant / wild food identification. It's no great secret that one meal will involve a rabbit which doesn't come wrapped in plastic from the supermarket! As a group, you'll probably make a one / two person kennel type shelter and may get the chance to sleep in it.

Embrace it and enjoy it! Have a great time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE