Woodlore Journeyman Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
steve a said:
Chris of course I'll write a review.
Mmm? Is there a review somewhere? I've only read reviews of Fundamental courses and would like to hear about a Journeyman. :wink: :biggthump

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It will be a great course :biggthump I think that Ray still leads the journeyman which is good. I bet you guys have been waiting for ages :eek:):

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Yep, the course leader was changed two weeks before the course started and Juha stepped in for Ray the reason for this was explained to all the course students prior to the course. Ray visited on one day, but Juha as anyone who has attended a course ran by him will know is an excellent instructor and a real nice guy.
I was to write a review of the course but we were asked at the end not to reveal the contents to anyone, which I will respect.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Not to answer anything, but Chris Claycomb has reviewed the Fundamental into great detail on the mainsite. :roll: :wink:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
There was no such request made to keep quiet about course content regarding the Fundamental Course that I did. I gather the Journeyman is a bit more "Extreme".

Not sure I'm up to the journeyman to be honest!

Dave

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
MartiniDave said:
There was no such request made to keep quiet about course content regarding the Fundamental Course that I did. I gather the Journeyman is a bit more "Extreme".

Not sure I'm up to the journeyman to be honest!
Yeah. It's supposed to rain and i'm sure there hasn't been one Journeyman without rain yet, cause it's in Scotland.... :roll: :wink:
But when it rains heavily you learn. I've tried it. :biggthump

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
steve a said:
Yep, the course leader was changed two weeks before the course started and Juha stepped in for Ray the reason for this was explained to all the course students prior to the course. Ray visited on one day, but Juha as anyone who has attended a course ran by him will know is an excellent instructor and a real nice guy.
I was to write a review of the course but we were asked at the end not to reveal the contents to anyone, which I will respect.

I've heard that he's a great guy from all that have mentioned him to me, I'm sure it was fantastic.

No problems with the review, no pressure. A few of my mates have done the Journeyman and they we're all told to Keep stum on it :?: I hope that you get the opportunity to get out and do the stuff :biggthump

leon-1

Steve, although you have been asked not to reveal any of the course content, I would of thought that you would be able to give an opinion on things like the course duration (was it long enough for what you were required to carry out), the structure of the course (was it good), the level of instruction (was it professonal, were the instructors aggressive or friendly), did you learn anything and overall did you think that the course was worth the money and wait. :wink:

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Why all the secrets? What are woodlore worried about?

May they are worried one of the other 'wood' companies will copy what they do it does seem to be the way of the woods.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Final say :It's a very good course, very taxing , yet extremely rewarding, they have nothing to hide on the content but if people are pre aware of all that goes on they will not get the full benefit of the course.
With regard to the class of leadership Juha is an excellent teacher who's skills are exceptional, he is held in high regard by both students and the wider bushcraft community. I do not wish to appear to be a killjoy but please respect my position in that if people ask you to do something and you agree you should be good to your word.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Steve A we respect your intregrity. :super: I wouldn't want you to break your word. I also agree that sometimes being prewarned about events makes for less impact.

However I still feel that a general gagging order is a little over the top.

I have spoken to a few people who have done the course and they have all enjoyed it. I would also have thought that Ray and Juha would have had enough experience to alter the courses enough to keep the experience fresh no matter what prior knowledge about the course is known to the particpants.

I dont really think the secrecy is justifed. I would want more info before parting with my cash.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
The journeyman, well I just got back today after a week with a few folk who are about to embark on the course, this will enable them to get the best from the week. Some of the stuff we went through
Friction fire lighting.
Shelter building
Wild food
Raft building
Water purification
Tracking and Trapping
Fishing
Etc,etc
It’s not as bad as some think…

Frogo

I'll put you out your misery Leon-1. My opinion is that the course was worth it, time and money. The instruction was very good as to be expected by woodlore. It was a tough course and me being me would have liked it to go on for a few more days or perhaps a week longer. But I can assure you that this is not a popular viewpoint. Next year (2005) Im down for the Nomad course run by Woodsmoke so I can compare these two. Perhaps the reason why they call it the Journeyman is that you go on a journey of self discovery and those who have done the course will know what I mean by this :yikes: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE