Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
By no sharps I meant you don't need to take any, you'll get a clipper and loaned a saw.

I'm ever so slightly envious, I loved my week there and I'm now selling off unused fishing kit in order to fund another as soon as possible, I'm considering the camp craft or woodsense before undertaking the journeyman though...

I would love to do the woodsense course if I ever raise the funds. The journeyman was great fun though.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I did it last year - the only thing I would add is dont pack your Rucksack too full - you will have a number of 'projects' to fit in as well as you move around. Its a great week have fun!:)

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Last week I had the following gear with me...

(Weather was warm to hot every day and dry all the time except for one heavy downpour one night)

If its got an asterisk next to it I didn't use it

Lowe Alpine 50L pack
Thermarest Ultralite full-size
Snugpak Softie 3 (Summer, +5C comfort) with silk liner
Petzl headtorch
Bivi bag (Mine is crappy so I borrowed one of theirs -much more accommodating)
Hilleberg Akto tent
First aid kit

Insect Repellant Roll-on
Sunscreen*

2 sets of clothes (one for the journey home)
Extra over-shirt
Waterproof trousers* and jacket
Bush hat
Buff*
Sunglasses*

Boots
Trainers (worn around camp on the first night and never subsequently)

Things I'd add if I was going again: Wet-wipes and Alcohol hand gel.
I wouldn't bother with a book because there is no time to read it.

Jay

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I followed the kit list supplied by woodlore. I didn't use the following and wouldn't take them again;

Sun hat
Trainers
Knife fork bowl etc. Just take a spoon and the stainless mug you can buy from the site (Also a hanging hook forthe crusador mug you can buy from ebay for a pound).
Wash kit can be cut down. I would only take toothpaste, brush and soap + buy a shemagh instead of a towel. You will probably only wash once or twice :)
Suncreen, lipsalve and insect repellant.

I also took a book but other than as tinder it was no use.

Beofre the mini-hike I packed as they told us too and ended up with a huge bag full of the junk I didn't need and didn't use for the rest of the course.

Things I will take for my course next year;
Work gloves (absolute #1 priority and take them with you on the trek). Unless you like getting stung.
Money for when the shop turns up after the trek, a bit dim on their part but still.
A lighter and matches.
Extra bin liners, I needed about 4.
Extra para cord.
Wood glue for when you break your spoon like I did :(
And stupid as it may sound a camp chair, you would not beleive how much it hurts to sit on a log for a lenght of time (you can leave it when you go for your trek).

Things I bought after the course;
The small woodlore sleeping bag, nearly half the weight of my army bag.
Woodlore green belt pouch for my 1st aid kit that kept falling off my belt.
Combination water stone from Axminster supplies, sawn in half which much effort.
A shemagh instead of a towel.
Woodlore balaclava for sleeping in.
Smaller thermarest, now using prolite3 short instead of traillite (if you don't have a thermarest get one).
Aclohol hand cleaning gel.
I bought a hootchie which will replace the hilleberg tarp I took last time. Hilleberg is good but not as good and I only got it as the hootchie was out of stock. Or you can borrow one when you arrive.

I will get (but are an indulgence);
Sabre 45 rucksack + side pouches and yoke, Less than half the weight of my Berghaus vulcan.
The Fjallraven forester trousers, I used Army lightweights but ran out of pockets.
The Swanndri Ranger Shirt to replace my norgie which when wet gets cold.
The Swazi Anorak (if I can get it past the wife :) ).

You will start to understand why everyone says light after you have been lugging your kit round for a few days. But above all DO NOT FORGET GLOVES!!!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I followed the kit list supplied by woodlore...........You will start to understand why everyone says light after you have been lugging your kit round for a few days. But above all DO NOT FORGET GLOVES!!!

It is remarkable how little you actually need, how little one actually needs to be comfortable in the forest.

Its one of the great strengths of this course that all the attendees I've met finish the week feeling that they can confidently get by in the wild with much less gear than they would have thought possible at the start of the course.

:D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for the heads up MM.

Things I will take for my course next year;
Work gloves (absolute #1 priority and take them with you on the trek). Unless you like getting stung.

Work gloves are already on my personal list as I figured we'll be doing some nettle cordage :)

And stupid as it may sound a camp chair, you would not beleive how much it hurts to sit on a log for a lenght of time (you can leave it when you go for your trek).

I do know what agony it's like to sit on logs and it does my back no good at all :(. I was wondering whether or not to take a chair and you just persuaded me to :)

Looks like I'll be doing a last shop this weekend for the remaining few bits and bobs listed below that people have recommended.

Wet-wipes
Alcohol hand wash gel
Shemagh for a towel
Pack of tissues for when nature calls unexpected ;)
Tent for storing gear
My Decathlon tarp for sleeping under
Extra para cord
Work gloves
Camp chair
Camera for one or two pics
My own hook knife as I don't like the frosts ones. ( I just don't get on with them at all)
And most importantly my reading glasses. I've found since I've started carving I need them for close up work!!!

I think that covers everything, and many thanks to everyone who's contributed with their tips and suggestions.

jameshs

Oct 23, 2007
London
Gloves - well you should be able to do it without them.......but wish I had had them :)

Camp chair - I would not take this - much better to sit on a spare fleece etc - i did this for the camp craft course and had no problems.

the Svante Djarv knives are a league apart from the frosts - did a small Kuska in birch - the frost single sided and double sided had trouble - but just needed sharpening - whereas the Svante just went through it like butter - I think it is just better sharpened out of the box and has a tighter better feeling blade.

however in green willow for spoons the frosts were absolutely fine.

The whole carry less is really difficult - a lesson hard to learn as there is always something 'extra' to take :) and all the lessons on comfort with stuff you make really only apply to being somewhere for a period of time - shelter building is so energy intensive!

Have a great time!

James

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Mesquite,
I'll echo what the guys have already mentioned and add just one small but important thing.... something to keep the midges at bay. It's the one minor downer on an otherwise fantastic week. I learnt loads of fine detail stuff and had a ball.

Hope you enjoy it

ATB

Ogri the trog

I second that, I got eaten alive on the hike.

If it's anything like the course Ogri and I attended, you'll meet some fabulous people and have a great time.
As for what to take if you follow the kit list you'll be fine.
As for what not to take...an ego! Mine got dumped halfway through the week and I felt much better for it. :D

Enjoy yourself.
Cheers, Alan.

lmanton

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I also suggest a pair of leather/strong gloves to prevent stings and blisters and a cheap foam kneeling mat (from most garden centres) to sit on the tree stumps when round the camp.

Does anyone have any similar advice for the Journeyman, I am off in a few weeks time after completing the Fundamental back in June?

sparksfly

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
London
I second that, I got eaten alive on the hike.

If it's anything like the course Ogri and I attended, you'll meet some fabulous people and have a great time.
As for what to take if you follow the kit list you'll be fine.
As for what not to take...an ego! Mine got dumped halfway through the week and I felt much better for it. :D

Enjoy yourself.
Cheers, Alan.

Hi chaps,

I was on the same course too - great week, the challenging conditions on the last day only added to the fun. Doing that course gave me the bug and I got a late cancellation booking for the Journeyman in September - which I look forward to with nervous excitement.

I'm not sure I can add any useful advice to the collective wisdom already shared. However if someone asked me for my top tips they would be:

1) Pace yourself. Being too frantic in the first 24 hours has its cost in your energy levels later in the week.
2) Help other people with their kit after sorting out your own.
3) Take the opportunity to stash dry tinder in your tent when you can

I thoroughly recommend the course as an excellent introduction to a broad base of bushcraft skills and you are certain to leave wanting to do more.

Malcolm

Aug 17, 2008
Moray
I was on the course last month. I stuck solidly to the kit list and the only extra item I wish I had taken was a box of matches. Everyone must think the worst of me not bringing matches to a bushcraft course, but as Sandbender said, the less you take the more you will get out of the course.
The only bit of kit I would change was my towel, I should have taken a packtowel or a shamagh.

Hope you enjoy it

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE