Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft 05-11 July 2009

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
What a week... the full introduction to bushcraft in somewhat interesting weather conditions, and easily one of the best things I've done in years. Thank you all who came along, and James, Adrian, Sarah, Darren and Jamie the Boy Wonder for making it an amazing course.

Those of you who were there, do please share your thoughts and memories - I've got photos available (only for the attendees - sorry) so drop me a private message with your details and I'll send you the links.

Tobes
:beerchug:

PS - Got in the bath when I returned home and made like a Coco Pop - turned the bath chocolaty...

Jul 12, 2009
Surrey
Not sure if Jamie was boy wonder more like boy grunter from all that bow drilling!!
Definately a good week all round.
Who's going to atempt the journeyman after that then!
Julie

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Woodlore are quite tough on not posting pics :(

It would also give the game away on what we did - before the course I was frustrated that nobody would talk about the agenda in detail, but now I know why - it would really spoil the fun if you knew what was coming next! The site is quite incredible, I didn't know places like that existed in the south of England.

And as for the bath - still trying to get the mud out from under my nails :)

Tobes

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

It would also give the game away on what we did - before the course I was frustrated that nobody would talk about the agenda in detail, but now I know why - it would really spoil the fun if you knew what was coming next! The site is quite incredible, I didn't know places like that existed in the south of England.

And as for the bath - still trying to get the mud out from under my nails :)

Tobes

Woodlore are quite tough on posting pictures?:confused:

your pictures, your copyright etc:confused:

Glad you enjoyed it anyway.
R.B.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I think it's part of the deal with the Eridge Park estate. The site is breathtakingly beautiful, so I'm not surprised they guard the images jealously.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

I'm very suprised you say they're tough on not posting pictures.

I did the same course last year as well as the camp craft course this year and both times the message regarding pictures was that they cannot be used for commercial purposes. This was because they didn't have permission from the land owners to use pictures for that purpose.

Yes, they ask you not to disclose too much as to what the course content is but that's more a case of not spoiling it for future attendees. But as for posting a few on the forum to share with friends here they weren't worried. After all showing a picture of you with a great big grin on your face and your tinder on fire after successfully creating your first ember from bow drilling isn't going to give anything away

I got the same message two years ago... "Pictures are fine for your own personal use, but please don't splash them over the Internet as it will spoil the course for others." I can see where they are coming from.
Glad you enjoyed it. I think I had three consecutive baths before SWIMBO would give me a welcoming hug.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Maybe its down to the instructor, my experience mirrors Mesquite's, in that we are told not to use any images for commercial purposes, no movies of skills being taught and obviously common sense dictates that photographs that reveal 'surprise' elements of any course will only spoil things for others.

Sep 30, 2008
Hove
Hi,

Well, I got home and had a bath, got out and had a shower. It nearly got the smell of smoke off, but not quite. And my hands are 'donald ducked' - I still can't grip properly.

But what a great time. I am now thinking about what to book on for next year. It is either Camp Craft or the first aid one.

As for photos I didn't really take any - I might have one on my phone at phone - I will check and let you know.

Cheers,

Roger

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I reckon the idea of not posting pics is an excellent one!

First off, as mentioned, it was at the request of the people who run the course - clearly, the participants really enjoyed the course and they have respected the request. Shows the course must have been good.

Secondly, it has generated interest, with a number of people asking 'Why can't we see the photos?' Well, guess you'll have to do the course and find out what goes on for yourselves!

Thirdly, It's not a 'spoiler'. We all know how frustrating it is when some idiot tells you the ending of a book/film/TV programme that you are looking forward to readiing/seeing. This method keeps the mystery and anticipation. Great idea - we'll have to learn a bit of patience! No one should be grumbling about this (especially those who haven't done the course), we should applaud it!

Finally, I'm glad that in the 'Facebook/Myspace/Twitter' years, that people are prepared NOT to splash every photo/thought/comment all over the internet. Glad you all enjoyed the course and have your group photos/memories to remind you of it.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Well spoken Mikey. To be fair, I went through my pics but there's very little in there that wouldn't be a spoiler in some way; sure, everyone knows there'll be some shelter building and fire by friction, but in nearly every case there's something that would give the game away.

I'd also add that what the photos don't show is the incredible team spirit that the instructors built up over the week. After 20 years working in a string of totally dysfunctional office teams it was a rare treat to be part of a group that really pulled together to share foraging, making and general good banter. And my poor photography skills don't do credit to the environment that Woodlore has at Eridge, I honestly didn't realise that there were places like that left in the south of England.

As you say - if you want to know what happens, get on the course!

Tobes

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Glad you had a good time and the same site is still in use.

I went in 2004 and had the best week I can remember, changed the way I think about the outdoors in a huge way.
The Journeyman is also an excellent course, and I highly recommend it. Great sense of achievement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE