Woodlore Fundamental BC 20th May 2007

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swissnic

May 16, 2006
London
Hi Chaps,

I was just wondering if anyone was going on this course? I'm travelling down from London if anyone needs a lift...

Also, I was wondering if anyone from previous courses have any tips for me/us? I.e Kit list, itinery, people etc

Cheers, Nic.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Don't take your fancy custom knife with you unless you really know how to use it in a bushcraft setting. The instructors will just take the p**s out of you.

Take notes the whole time you're there.

Listen well and try and absorb as much as they throw at you.

Not sure who your chief instructor is. Whoever i'm sure they'll be good.

Most improtant - Have fun. :)

Dexter

Forager
Jan 23, 2007
Birmingham, UK
www.th.ph.bham.ac.uk
I agree with everything that Marts has said. Don't forget to take a folding chair with you unless you like having a numb bum. I wish I had taken a head torch with me as it would have been useful when doing my projects after dark. They really push your hard time wise so make sure you've always got one of your projects on the go. Brilliant course!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Very much out of date now...different instructors, probably different site, dunno about the content, but this is how I found the course a few years ago:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=23

There used to be a kit list discussion attached to the review, but I think it got lost during one of the server re-builds since I can't seem to find it now. Probably just as well :rolleyes: I have a copy of it (rough draft?) and some of the things I say make me cringe now :lmao: However, the perspective was of someone who was brand new to the outdoor living side of bushcraft, and my perspective has changed since then :)

What Marts says is spot on. Mind you, I took a home made knife that was a million miles from what the instructors liked and it did most things well enough. The thing was, I was familiar with it, even if I hadn't used it for "bushcraft" before. I was lucky that the edge was ground good and thin for whittling, so the size and guard weren't such a problem :lmao:

As for tips...if you aren't used to using your hands a lot, take hand cream. Most of the folk on my course really beat up their hands, lots of cracks, little cuts, the odd blister. It is nearly impossible to keep all these clean and infections are a bummer. Gloves would have helped, but not much.

Just wondering what your prior experiences have been? What stuff you are looking forward to learning?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I forgot the head torch. it was a MUST have bit of kit for our September course...which I didn't have :rant: :lmao: Much work was done after dark, including cooking. An LED head torch would have been invaluable.

The gloves would have been really good for the nettle collecting :D

Dexter

Forager
Jan 23, 2007
Birmingham, UK
www.th.ph.bham.ac.uk
Gloves would certainly have saved a lot of pain but there was something satisfying about picking nettles with my bare hands and turning them into cordage. It felt like some sort of initiation. Could be that they've just sent me mad though.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Marts said:
Don't take your fancy custom knife with you unless you really know how to use it in a bushcraft setting. The instructors will just take the p**s out of you.

Take notes the whole time you're there.

Listen well and try and absorb as much as they throw at you.

Not sure who your chief instructor is. Whoever i'm sure they'll be good.

Most improtant - Have fun. :)

I did mine last May (the one where it poured down hard for the whole week!). Thoroughly enjoyed it! As for knives, they issue you with a Frosts Clipper and they prefer that you use it on the course, so that everyone is operating with the same cutting tool. There was no mickey-taking at all on my course. Sure there were some gags and "insightful comments" from the staff, but always to a good end and never ever were they malicious. Don't bother taking an axe or parang - you won't be allowed to use it. Any heavy cutting will be done by the staff. If you've got a crook / hook / spoon knife, take it along. A foam sit-mat is a good idea. There's a fair amount of sitting on logs around the camp fire, carving, making cordage, etc and it helps to reduce the numb-bum!

Tent, Hammock or Tarp, it's up to you. I tarp'd and bivi bag'd it for the week, but sometimes I did wish I'd taken a tent - especially when I woke up to find a HUGE grey tree slug had crawled into my mouth! :eek: Yeeuukkk!

You'll spend 2 or 3 nights under a tarp anyway. They supply a Aussie hootch and a British Army bivi bag for that part of the course.

If you're getting there by public transport, take a change of clothes for the homeward trip and seal them up in a plastic bag to change into after the final assessment. There was a camp shower for a freshen up, but I was still minging by the end of the week!

The course is alcohol free (alcohol & sharp knives - never a good mix), so don't bother taking a crate with you - although I did take my hip flask for a nightly nightcap!

Food is all provided and I never went hungry.

Head torch and spare batteries is a good plan.

Gloves a good thing too - nettle cordage and hot billycans - OUCH!

Have a great time!

Yeoman :)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Sounds brilliant.

Pound Land are selling (for one pound each) foam gardening mat things that
you'd kneel on. Unfortunately they've got 'witty sayings' emblazoned on them
but it won't affect their function.

Also they have 'one-size fits no-one' gardening gloves, or lower quality 3-pairs
-per-pack of gloves.

I also picked up a fairly largeish shower curtain or 'large plastic thing to sit on'.

Lots of plastic bottle things too but I've not investigated that yet. Building up
slowly :)

Swissnic

May 16, 2006
London
Lots of great advice - thanks chaps... I am a newbie to BC, hence the course, but have done the cubs/scouts/army cadets in the past. Just looking to renew the knowledge of my youth... ;o)

My current kitlist is:

Torches: Petzl Myolite 3, Mini Maglite
Tents: Ridgeraider hooped gortex bivi, 2-man dome tent
Rucksacks: Karrimor Hot Track 55 Ltr, Karrimor Hot Rock 30Ltr, 15 Ltr Drysack
Bags: Thermarest mat + 3 season holofil bag
Steel: Bahco Laplander, Frost Mora Crook, Custom 6" Camp knife
2 x 1ltr Alu water bottles, Folding alu wood burning stove, billican
Various lightweight fleese/wool/gortex clothing, Nylon cord
Hitech Magnums, warm hat / sun hat, mossie head net
Various personals/first aid kit, Wetwipes

So does this SCREAM newbie or what??? :lmao:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
C_Claycomb said:
There used to be a kit list discussion attached to the review, but I think it got lost during one of the server re-builds since I can't seem to find it now.

This is the best I could find:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=12035&highlight=woodlore+fundamental

I'll have a look if I can find the original :D

EDIT:
Here you go :D
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=53

It's in the "Review" section under "Other" ...

Swissnic

May 16, 2006
London
Thanks for that... I think some things have changed recently...

The "required" kitlist for 2007 has a few more things on it these days... i.e. Bring your own Bivi etc.

It looks like this:

SUITABLE OUTDOOR CLOTHING & SPARE SET including waterproofs
SWIMMING COSTUME
WARM SLEEPING BAG
LIGHTWEIGHT TENT OR SIMILAR SHELTER
BIVI BAG
INSULATING SLEEPING MAT
KNIFE, SPOON, MUG, BOWL AND PLATE
WATER BOTTLES (2x 1litre)
TORCH WITH FRESH BATTERIES & 2 SPARE SETS
WHISTLE
WASH KIT & TOWEL
PERSONAL TOILETRIES/MEDICATION
10 M STRONG NYLON CORD
WOOLLEN HAT
SUN HAT
SUNSCREEN
LIPSALVE
GOOD INSECT REPELLANT
SMALL FIRST AID KIT
NOTEBOOK & PENCIL
SMALL DAY-SACK
RUCKSACK* plus bin liners (x2)

Hello Swissnic.
I was on the same course in May 06. I would advise against taking too much kit. Of your current kit list, I'd just take the Petzl head torch and spare batteries, take your tent only, you'll be issued with a bivi bag and hoochie when you get there on the 2nd day, take your large rucksack and your day sack only, your mat and sleeping bag are ok to take, don't take any knives or saws, you will be issued with them when you get there, and the instructors will prefer it if you use the issued knife, take your water bottles, but not the stove or billy can as again you will get billy cans issued to you, and you will be doing all your cooking over a camp fire, just take what clothes you stand up in, and one change only, nylon cord is useful, but not too thick (para cord is ideal) boots, hats etc all good.
Have a great time, it's a blast doing that course. Try not to be intimidated by any "Mini Mears" types that seem to arrive with every item of kit that is available from the Woodlore shop, as they only have to carry it around with them when you go on your 3 day hike. Take a large dose of sence of humour with you, and brush up on plenty of jokes to tell round the camp fire of an evening.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
little tip they some time pop up with the shop goodies at the end of the courses (usually 10 % discount) students go wild with there cards as they have been useing said stuff throughout the week i have seen many students go home with car fulls would they have bought if they thought about Whoommmmm!! but if you are after something from the website then it is cheaper! when you are there.

have loads of fun and i still go over my notes and one thing i took away from it is how handy pen and a pad is when out and about for jotting and drawing allsorts..

Swissnic

May 16, 2006
London
Celt_Ginger said:
you'll be issued with a bivi bag and hoochie when you get there on the 2nd day, take your large rucksack and your day sack only

Thanks for the tips. Just wanted to pooint out that Bivi's are NOT provided anymore, and are on the required kitlist. Also, I only have 2 rucksacks - a 55ltr and a 30ltr (daysack). I think you misread DRYsack - it's a 15ltr waterproof insert for keeping certian kit dry if you need to do river crossings etc...

Is it worth taking any rations along - kendall mint cake or beef jerky for example?

Thanks again for the tips guys... I'll try to return the favour when I return by posting a report of my experience... :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Have fun Nic.

I would take along some treats to eat if I were you. If you don't use them it doesn't matter but you may find them a great morale booster at the right moment :)

A review of the course would be great - it's been a while since Chris's review and as you've seen from posters on this thread things change.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE