Woodlore first aid-belt pouch vs Aldi carrier bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i carry two when i go away.
a small one with mainly steristrips, plasters, wipes etc for patching up cuts in my possibles bag.
plus in my rucksack (if i'm going away for a while) a larger pack with electrolyte solutions, ibuprofen, immodium, and a few other bits and pieces.

on my belt i have a pouch and my knife. not a bat-belt by any means.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
I've got an old (really old!) Gregson first aid kit I acquired whilst off a Mountain Rescue team when they switched to "Corporate branding" with another company. It's a lovely bit of kit - although a bit big at times! I carry it by bergen - infact, I don't think it's been out of my bergen in a couple of years - best check those useby dates!! :rolleyes:

I don't think I'd ever consider having one on my belt - unless I'm away with cadets, then I have a small one in my webbing for blisters & hotspots, with a couple of triangular bandages for good measure.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hmmm... I have a Lifesystems Trekker FAK, supplemented with a few bits and bobs, generally in my pack. Although it should really be on my belt - after all, the last thing you want is to have to rummage around in your pack whilst bleeding profusely.

I have to admit that I seem to be succumbing to "utility-belt-itis"... I've been playing with a PLCE-style belt with one canteen pouch (containing waterbottle, cup, Crusader cookset, 4 esbit tabs, tea bags, sugar sachets, PreMac PWP water purifier and neutralising tabs), one double ammo pouch (containing in pouch 1: survival bag, mirror, small arkansas stone, repair patches, small tube of seam sealant, 1 greenheat sachet, tinderpouch, spare firesteel, Opinel No 7, compass; in pouch 2: porridge oats (2 portions), 12 esbit tabs, more teabags, sugar sachets, salt, milk powder, 1 snack bar, 1 large cup-a-soup), knife + firesteel, and ideally FAK... Oh, and there's sometime a Lifeventure KFS on there as well.

Is that "criminally over-festooned"? I dunno... But I do know that I'm sick of having to rummage in my pack every time I want a drink of water, or to light a fire, or do anything really. Plus I find that having that kit on the belt seems to be a better distribution of weight.

It all started with the realisation that the time things are most likely to go wrong is probably when you've already pitched camp and are off collecting firewood. No use have a FAK in you pack if your pack's back in camp. Now if I can just do away with the need to carry waterproofs then I don't need a pack at all for day trips...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm not sure why Woodlore labeled this a first aid pouch, I own an early prototype of this design and bought it purely because I liked the fact that the leather matched the sheath of my AW woodlore. I use it to hold verious knick-knacks, However there is enough first aid material in there to fix any damage to fingers or hands if I'm ever foolish enough to cut myself.

My first aid pack sits in my backpack and its contants vary depending on where in the world i am and whether or not anyone or anything there wants to shoot me or eat me.

:)

Pic available in my gallery...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=935&cat=500&ppuser=1202

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
To be fair, it the same price as a similar sized hand made pouch sold on bearclaw. sounds like they have done research and come up with a pouch that's differnt yet would do the same job.
Since I cycle to uni my 30liter pack has a first aid kit in the lid pocket. That would handle a day trip. when I was in a larger group by St johns FAK got strapped to the side of the pack.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
As I do quite a bit of leatherwork it would be easy for me to make belt pouches and the like for any number of things that it might be nice to have immediately to hand, but I want my belt to hold my knife, phone and Swisstool and not much more. I find that too much gear on my belt only gets in the way and can be a nuisance when it interferes with the waist strap of my bergen too. (This applies to stuff that sticks up above the belt)
I keep my little FAK in one of those watertight plastic boxes that Tescos sell for food storage. (I think they're called Snap-Its or something similar) Kept in the lid of my pack, this is easily reached if needed and is easy to open with one hand too.

When you look at the work involved making something like the pouch for sale from Woodlore, and the fact that they are being made and sold as a commercial enterprise not a hobby, then the price is not that unreasonable.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

I generally have three FAKs,

A plastic box kit that is permenantly in the LR

A Webtex MEDIC POUCH that is a site FAK

A Webtex TRAUMA POUCH that I can have in my pack or on my belt.

The second two are pictured below, contents are no included!

Dave@ludlowsurvivors

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
I agree with those members who carry a FAK, whatever size, with them at all times.

Whether thats on your belt /smock pocket / day sac. I'm used to carrying a set of webbing so carrying various things on a belt is not a drama.

It is sods law that says the the time you need your FAK is the time it will be back in the base. So my personnel recommendation is carry a small FAK (plasters, steri strips, FFD) on you at all times and the larger type in your base kit.

Oh and lets hope its never needed :D

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
hmm. it has to be said that buckled leather object is bordering on ridiculous. I am in need of a decent FAK, i only have bits and bobs...I have very little motivation to put one together. I've nearly bought the life systems one a few times, but since i don't know how to use half the stuff in them it seems pointless. maybe i should attend a course!

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
when in the field i have a field /trama dressing taped to my belt or in a pouch and have a more complete first aid kit in my rucksack or bum pack or a utility pouch on the belt.....if i need a small cut fix i'll use the swab and plasters from my survival tin to patch myself up...i also carry a knife ,water bottle and a compass pouch on the web belt...vince g. 11b inf....

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
With six years of doing volunteer first aid I am unhappy with most first aid kits. Do I mean they don't have all the expert stuff? No, because my skills are pretty basic, what I mean is that most are way over priced for what is inside them, and by now I know what I need in the field so I cater it to myself.

I did buy two Adventure Medics Ultralight FAKs because I liked the bright yellow almost waterproof outer bag and the Alosak waterproof inner. I then added other things I needed.

For carry the largest FAK is in my large hiking pack and because the pack lin comes off it goes with me away from basecamp.

The smaller FAK is part of a slim fanny pack survival kit that lives in my daypack which I wear about town almost everyday.

Belt carry is only for use with a light day pack. Belt carry is not for lage packs with waist straps. I have a survival vest made from a US BDU shirt rather than overload my pants belt.

A leather FAk holder? Sure why not? Just use a plastic bag inside it.

It is a nice looking pouch and will hold whatever you want.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I have to admit that I normally prefer to carry my stuff either in a smal rucksack for day trips or the pockets of my main rucksack for longer outing.

During the day I tend to keep my SAK round my neck, although when walking I tend to put it away to avoid misunderstandings, and at night I clip on my LED converted Maglite, yes I know it would have been cheaper just to buy an LED torch but that little torch, the SAK, and I have been though a lot :)

The first aid stays in my rucksack, it has a dozen plasters, blister kit, a few dressings a couple of triangular bandages, some pads, micropore tape, gloves, wipes, bags and some eywash pods.

Contrary to many people's advice I do NOT keep my medication in the first aid kit mainly because I don't want to risk losing it if I am delaing with a problem, or somebody else might "borrow" it to deal with a problem and I would loose the lot :(

Medication stays in an old pencil case half way down my rucksack, close enough to snake my arm down for but not too close to fall out or get wet. I used to keep it in my sleeping bag but it took too long to access

In practice I carry spare blood pressure pills and inhalers with my hygiene stuff, one in my trousers and another in my jacket! Yes I would be in severe problems if I had an attack and couldn't find one, however I almost never need it when I am away from the city but ALWAYS need it as I drive home after being away.

It just emphasisies how bad the conditions can be in built up areas and how badly I want to move away just as soon as I can afford it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE