Woodlore Camp Craft 2012 (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It's the tools that are included in the price that put me off this course. I have already got (more than) one GB Small Forest axe as I expect many of us have. My nic Westermann spoon knife is at least the equal of SDjarv and I have a choice of bushy knives to take out for crafting with.
I know it makes a nice package for a present or something but I'm sure that there are lots of bushcrafters who would like the knowledge and benefits from this course but pale at the price.We could do with a bring your own kit option then count me in.
Thanks for posting the report of your course.It sounds like it was loads of fun and you made a great kuksa.Your board looks like my old Westmorland baking board ; very nice and useful too.
Cheers , Simon

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I reckon if you negotiated enough with the people at the office you could probably get the price of the tools off the course price. I seem to remember someone on here saying that if you already had the SFA you could buy another axe from them with the price of the SFA taken off it, i wouldnt think it would be all that different with regards the spoon knife. But hey we can always use an extra companion, which they issue as well.
thanks

paddy

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Sounds like a really valuable course.

I'm desperately saving up for another course early next year - but wasn't looking at Woodlore. Have to revise my thinkng now.

Thanks for the write up!

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Unfortunately not, was slightly disappointed myself but i had already seen him on the fundamental course and he keeps to himself most of the time, chatting to the instructors and saying only a few words to the students. Cant blame him though, he's probably quite a busy guy so a one-on-one with each student isnt really on the cards.
cheers

paddy

Syrio

Aug 14, 2012
Midlands
Heyho Patrick :) Grant here.

I had the pleasure of also being on this course with Outdoorpaddy.

This was my first course, indeed my first camping experience in over a decade and a half so this was my entry back into this world.
I do not know if its usually this way but I felt we got quite lucky with the group. There were only 8 of us but everyone got on really well and as often seems to be the case there were 3 non brits among us who flew in from abroad for the course.
Being a complete beginner I appreciated the slower pace of the course and reduced intensity. OP and others of the group had already done the fundamental course and remarked on the difference.
The latter few days are almost entirely craft/carving. I wont post pictures of my lumpy blobs :), I lack the raw talent and to lesser extent experience of carving that Patrick and a few other attendees had but I learned some basics when before I knew nothing.
If you have an interest in carving I can see this course being very appealing to you. To actually go from a free standing tree in the wild, to felling, limbing, sectioning and splitting it into slabs that you then turn into a bowl or cup etc gives you the full experience and a complete backstory to your finished product.
If you have the room you can also take as much wood in blocks home with you as you wish to craft many more works.

The course leader Tom is a multi talented individual to say the least but I got the vibe that the Camp Craft course, working with wood, in the woods, trees and carving etc was his primary calling. His enthusiasm for everything we did was clear, on top of the knowledge you would expect by default. Beyond doing many of the activities of course, on the course, he also does much of the same and more outside of Woodlore, either as part time work or personal past time, living the skills he teaches so to speak.
The assistants Keith and Sarah also deserve a nod, both very helpful and informative.

All in all I enjoyed my time on the course and hope I can carry the experience and knowledge gained onto further things.

Sadly my wallet is living in fear of the list of items I now want that I saw other people using at the camp and the idea of more courses.

*Edit - Yeh would of been nice to meet Ray but I wasnt disappointed either way. His Namibia tracking course is in a few days isnt it?, I was wondering at the time if he was even in the country let alone close enough to drop by.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ah! Grant! Good to see you in your online form.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the course, it was a pleasure carving with you. And everyone starts off with lumpy blobs as their first carving projects, nothing to be ashamed of. The more you do of it, the easier it becomes.
I really enjoyed your company over the week, especially the masses of interesting facts and information that you seemed to have stored away somewhere that would stimulate deep discussion.
Hopefully I'll see you on another course sometime.
cheers

paddy

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like a great course Patrick. I was going to attend this course several years ago but funds ran out as the kids came along. I would have saved lots of time having to self teach and gain info from all available sources but Im happy with my level now.

It must have been exciting being shown all the methods of item production and working from the tree all within one week.

Apr 24, 2012
London
Hey Patrick & Grant, Calum here!

I was on this course with Paddy, as well as the Fundamental Bushcraft course last year. Had a great time, Paddy & Grant have already expressed how I fell about the content & the instructors. As for the cost: I agree it's on the pricey side but I doubt there's a better set of bushcraft courses anywhere else in the UK.

One of the most important things I learned was how to sharpen an axe. I'd had a go before (after watching a load of youtube videos) but never really felt I got the hang of it. After a lesson on sharpening during the week, with some feedback from the instructors, I now feel confident enough to sharpen my own axes as well as the ones my Scout group owns.

I have a photo of the stool & bowl I made that I'll upload some time, as well as the other spoon I carved with a bit of Birch I took home with me. Made a right mess of my living room floor with all the shavings, but it'll make a nice present for someone.

Apr 24, 2012
London
JPaJn.jpg

That's my slightly rough-looking stool I made, along with the bow saw and kuksa/bowl. The stool isn't pretty, but it's remarkably sturdy. I got a few funny looks on the train & tube on the way home...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE