Woodlore bushcraft school PLEASE HELP ME

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Phantom

I have rently been saving up my money to go on a bushcraft course and i have been advised by my friends to go on the fundamental bushcraft course at the woodlore school. But as these courses are very expensive and to be honest I dont have that much money I was hoping that the people at bushcraftuk could aid me with their experience and tell me what they feel about the matter.

thanks,
Phantom

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
while woodlore are good, they are by no means the only school out there.
from personal experience i can highly recommend backwoods survival school (although it's in scotland and may be a little far to travel)
bearclaw are also highly regarded although i've not been on one of their courses.
why not come along to the north meet at the end of the month? i've learned as much at meets as i have on courses and they are a lot cheaper.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Phantom said:
But as these courses are very expensive and to be honest I dont have that much money ...

Don't I know that feeling! I don't even run a car in order to save money, then I spend all the money I save on Woodlore courses. lol. I personally think they are worth it because of the level of expertise, but I haven't tried any of the other courses nor been to a bushmoot, so I reckon that'd definitely be worth trying first.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
As Graham mentions there are other schools out there, I'm told that Woodsmoke are particulary good.

However I attended a Woodlore Fundamental course and was pleasantly surprised by just how much I got out of it.

That said, I learned more about using the firedrill for free from 'Match' at one of the Scottish meets.

:)

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
My advice? Save your money for now, do the BIG summer moot and you'll learn loads and loads for free and be able to talk to people who *really* know what they're talking about and have a much better view of what's available and where. Plus a couple of bushcrafting legends due to be there... :)

After that, you can spend you money on a course you *know* will be just what you want.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Hello everyone, sorry I'm new so forgive the naff question, but these moots I assume are meets, but where do I get details?

Thanks

Pib

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
pibbleb said:
Hello everyone, sorry I'm new so forgive the naff question, but these moots I assume are meets, but where do I get details?

Thanks

Pib

Hi Pib,

No worries about that.
If you have a look atthis part of the forum you'll find several meet-up groups. Just find if there's a group / meet near your place, show your interest in a meet up if one is organised by making a post, and the guys there will show you the way on how to get to the location, dates, and the lot.

Welcome to the forum - and may you learn a lot of new things :D

leon-1

Pibbleb, the bushmoot is being held in Merthyr Mawr from the 28th July till the 1st of August. There will probably be more posted about it closer to the event.

As Johan has said try and get yourself along to one of the local meets to you and have a bit of fun, you'll find people to be helpfull and informative:)

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Cheers for that!

I've been looking for this kinda thing for an age!! I've been going out and about ince I was 11 but it's always been on my own and to be honest never really been sure of what I've been doing so I'm looking to drain everybody of advice!!!

Cheers guys.

Pib

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hi Pib,

I've not been on a woodlore course but am told they are very good, I do think you're right that the price of them can be restrictive though.

On the plus side you happen to be near to four of the best schools I know of (there's others around the country just as good but these are near to you):

Bearclaw Bushcraft: http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/

Natural Pathways: http://www.natural-pathways.co.uk/home.html

Forest Knights: http://www.forestknights.co.uk/

Bison bushcraft: http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/

Have a look and see what you think.

As the others have said you can learn a lot from the meetings that these chaps organise but you'll learn even more on a dedicated teaching course with less numbers of students.

Hope that's of some help to you and welcome to bcuk. :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

(ps. I don't work for any of the above and don't get any commision! lol :lmao: )

Reactions: Wayne

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Bam,

Thanks for the links, two of which I hadn't come across before.On a quick inspection I've seen a day course that I fancy taking the kids on so absolute bonus.

Cheers again.

Pib :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
No worries Mate, if that's the Natural Pathways day course you're talking about then you'll have a fantastic time, both Geoff and Hannah go out of there way to help you learn things. The kids will love it.

Glad I could help :)

Bam. :D

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
By all accounts Geoff and Hannah are great instructors but i have yet to have the pleasure.

Your location says Southwater is that Southwater West Sussex?

If so keep Wayne of Forest Knights in mind as he is fairly local, running his courses at Arundal.

The course is set in private ancient woodland and apart from a lightly used public footpath there is little disturbance from the outside (apart from a very persistent Police helicopter on one of my visits :lmao:).

There is also the Woodcraft School based at Midhurst and the Wildwood Bushcraft.

Bison Bushcraft is in East Sussex, Bambodoggy can vouch for how good Rodger is.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Fame at last for Southwater. lol Some would say the best thing about the place is the road out of it! That's not true I like it.

It's amazing I've been looking around for places for ages with no success and suddenly I'm finding all these places on the door step.

I've spoken with Wayne and I'm going to do the First aid weekend in September with them, need to pay first though, anyway seems a nice bloke.

There are a couple of things I would like to ask if anyone tunes, first in the Sussex area where would you suggest to go andf get lost light a fire build a basha without giving the local landowner a headache. Theres plenty of places for the basha building but the fire worries me so usually avoid. Secondly, anymore good places where I can get the kids involved one 6 and one 3 going on 4.

Cheers
Paul

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I've just realised I haven't answered the most important question. Yes it was with the Natural Pathways group. It looks really cool and the kids seem to be loving it.

Showed my wife and even she seemed interest, nearly fainted. lol. :D

I don't think you can go wrong for a family day out plus some excitement for £60.00.

Keep them coming :You_Rock_

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
pibbleb said:
There are a couple of things I would like to ask if anyone tunes, first in the Sussex area where would you suggest to go andf get lost light a fire build a basha without giving the local landowner a headache. Theres plenty of places for the basha building but the fire worries me so usually avoid. Secondly, anymore good places where I can get the kids involved one 6 and one 3 going on 4.

Cheers
Paul

The eternal $64,000 question. One place that might suit you for both things - having a fire and involving the kids is somewhere like the Blackberry Wood campsite. By all accounts a nice gentle spot to introduce the little ones to the outdoors. The Joker did a review of it recently IIRC. Try typing Blackberry wood in the SEARCH function and you should find more info.

Tanners Hatch YHA has also been suggested before. I would avoid St Ives Farm if you can...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8229
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE