Woodlore Arctic course 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi

I've booked onto the arctic course with Lars Falt next Feb. Always been a big ambition of mine and finally got round to doing it.

Anyone else going? Anyone been and able to give advice on kits etc?

I've read the review of the course on this site and am very excited.

Barry

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You will have a fantastic time, my main worry was how my camera batteries would hold out in the cold with nowhere to charge them, there were some posts on that subject and about the Arctic course in General, I'll see if I can find the link.

The gear list they provide is pretty comprehensive, I didn't purchase the arctic sleeping bag they recommended, instead using the WL Golden Eagle bag in a snow trench with temperatures dropping to -38 to -40.

I was quite warm :)

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
You will have a fantastic time. One tip - and Sandbender can confirm this:) if your snowmachine starts to run out of control - DON'T try to stop it with your face:))
Berghaus Yeti gaiters are brilliant. They are hard work to get on your boots (someone elsewnere on this site has provided a link to a Youtube video showing how) so if you get them, put them on at the beginning/before you go, and don't take them off until you hit civilisation again. Once on, they provide excellent protection for your boots/lower legs whether you are on skis or a snowmachine, and also can provide an extra couple of degrees of insulation.
They were recommended to me by a Marine who had used them extensively on exercises in Norway, he couldn't praise them highly enough, and I was glad that I took his advice.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to hear how you got on after the event. That WL course sounds fantastic and I mean to try it out at some stage in the future. In the meantime, if you don't mind giving us the low down, that would be great.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Berghaus Yeti gaiters are brilliant. They are hard work to get on your boots (someone elsewnere on this site has provided a link to a Youtube video showing how) so if you get them, put them on at the beginning/before you go, and don't take them off until you hit civilisation again. Once on, they provide excellent protection for your boots/lower legs whether you are on skis or a snowmachine, and also can provide an extra couple of degrees of insulation.
They were recommended to me by a Marine who had used them extensively on exercises in Norway, he couldn't praise them highly enough, and I was glad that I took his advice.
The link for Berghaus Yeti gaiters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqqWjUnQ_8

And some good info on sleeping bag ratings for Nanok
http://www.raymears.com/Woodlore/Bushcraft_Tips_And_Advice.cfm/id/10#sleepingbagtemps

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi

I've booked onto the arctic course with Lars Falt next Feb. Always been a big ambition of mine and finally got round to doing it.

Anyone else going? Anyone been and able to give advice on kits etc?

I've read the review of the course on this site and am very excited.

Barry

I'm booked to go on the course - the first week from the 7th to 14th February.

I sent woodlore an e-mail and they sent me the recommeneded kit list. If you PM me I will e-mail the two documents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE