Woodlander course 2007

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all, well I have taken the plunge and put down a deposit on the woodsmoke woodlander course! Just wondered whether anyone else has done the same? The dates are 12th - 18th Aug 2007. It's going to be a struggle to wait that long but from what I have read it will be a wait worth waiting! I've always been interested in bushcraft but this will be my first real taster! Any advice form the more experianced in terms of kit etc. would be appreciated! Nick :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
ReadAldousHuxley said:
Hi all, well I have taken the plunge and put down a deposit on the woodsmoke woodlander course! Just wondered whether anyone else has done the same? The dates are 12th - 18th Aug 2007. It's going to be a struggle to wait that long but from what I have read it will be a wait worth waiting! I've always been interested in bushcraft but this will be my first real taster! Any advice form the more experianced in terms of kit etc. would be appreciated! Nick :)

Good man! It's well worth it.
You should be able to find my mini-review, as well as several others, on the site if you use the search option for "woodlander".

Kit-wise, you don't need much, a lot is supplied. I'd take a robust waterproof jacket (Not one of these lightweight shell ones; there's plenty of sharp bits around that will easily rip them open; i've seen it happen!), sturdy daytime clothes, something to change into if you get soaked, swimming shorts, undies (plenty of fresh socks!), wooly hat if it gets cold, some gardening gloves (you handle lots of spiky spruce so unless you're already calloused it will make things more comfortable) and a wash kit. Food is supplied but you need your own eating utensils and a big mug for tea. A stainless steel balti dish is perfect for a plate/bowl combo. Can get them cheap from supermarkets or poundstretchers. Don't need pans/billies.

Accessories should include a head torch, some paracord/string (get good stuff that won't stretch, you need it for the fire bow), a notepad if you like learning from notes, and a camera (but be aware it could well be humid so don't take a disposable one - the lenses fog up really badly).

You won't need any cutting/sharpening tools unless you have a favourite knife - they provide what you need.

The best value bit of kit I had were some german army surplus goretex salopettes. You spend a lot of time sat or kneeling on the ground - fire by friction, food prep and digging for spruce roots for instance. If the ground is damp your knees and bum will be too, and these (for £15) will prevent all that and they're great if it's raining. Means you can just wear some relatively lightweight trousers underneath, and when it's sunny you can remove layers.

If you like fishing, you can take your own rod cause the ones they have are Rubbish with a capital CRAP.

Sleeping arrangements are flexible - places for tents, bivvies and hammocks. I was in a hammock all week and it was fantastic. Slept in more than once!

Hope that helps,
Neil

Hi Neil. Thanks for the info, am now even more excited than before. Glad you said about the hammock as that was one thing that I was considering, saves on space in the rucksack as well I suppose! Will have a read of your other thread now. Have you done any of the other woodsmoke courses. The one that really appeals to me is the nomad course, I hate the idea of relying on equipment and technology and it would be nice to know a bit more about going light. I feel some training up and practice is in order first though! I am still, after all a bushcraft baby and could be in better shape; I think however, I have just found my motivation.

Thanks again for the advice. Nick

Apr 30, 2006
geordieland
Hi Nick
I have booked on same course as you.
I am new to bushcraft and trying to learn fast.
I will have to start collecting equipment now.
Not to sure about an hammock though, look very uncomfortable to me.
Think I will stick to a tent and sleeping bag.
Good info though Neil
Cheers Steve

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i when on a woodlander in oct it rained most the time
but i most say it was one of if not the best of courses to go on
you don't what to leave at the end!
..karl
am not going to spoil it and tell you the set up but it's top notch
am going back on a axe course n a tracker then a native in 2008
if any ones going?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
You lucky people.... you'll have a fantastic time. Remember to take a notebook, pen/pencil and a camera ...... there is alot to take in ;)

:D
Ed

Apr 30, 2006
geordieland
you won't see me palmnut.
i am on the august course.
but you will be able to give us a run down of you time there.
just to wet our appetite's even more

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
Looks like i have just managed to scrape a place (as someone has dropped out).
So i look forward to meeting you on the 13th of May Palmnut. :)

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I did the woodlander a few years ago and it was brilliant even though it rained all week :rolleyes:

Definitely take gardening gloves as Neil says, my hands were full of cuts after making the lean-to shelter but I didn't care :)

The one piece of kit I was glad I had was a bivvi bag as I was under a tarp all week. I woke up with puddles on top of it but it was dry as a bone inside, well worth the money in my opinion.

Since the course I've been back and done the Lakelander too and then the Voyageur and a few other trips. They're a good bunch of people you'll really enjoy it.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I'm so jealous. I did this course a few years back near Patterdale and went back for the Axe Workshop and the Abo' after they moved to near Windemere. You will love every minute of it. I meant to do the Lakelander last year too but I managed to get myself a prolapsed disc (spinal job) so had to cancel.

Matt

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I'm booked on the Woodsmoke Axe Workshop and Bowyer course in May and June. You can find my lengthy review/account of last years Stone Bone Antler course on the Woodsmoke site.

I would opt for a tent rather than a hammock/basher but thats because I don't like being eaten alive by midgees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE