Woodland Ways leather tankard kit

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Hmm I had a student on my last course make a tankard and it was miles better than the pictures shown on that site. It honestly wouldn't encourage me to buy one of those.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Not with a ten foot barge-pole! If those've been made using the accompanying instructions then someone needs to either re-read the instructions or the instructions need to be re-written :yikes: .

Ignoring the otherwise very very poor construction and techniques, in this pic the handle is shown having been sewn into the side seam ~ from underneath :yikes: . Just how will it be able to sit flat?
image_2184.JPG

Mang

Settler
Well I've looked at my kit, I've toyed with my kit, I've stitched and unstitched my kit and finally got to the stage where I can say 'Finished'. In the description on the website it says Advantages: You are responsible for how the tankard turns out! Disadvantages: You are responsible for how the tankard turns out! hence the reason for me re-doing the stitching as I changed my mind on the design.

The only thing that spoilt it was as I poured beeswax in it it popped and bubbled (too hot by any chance?!) and has 'aged' the lower leather a bit. The stitching is just about passable too but still, it's done and I'm pleased with it to the point where I've said to my eldest that he can fill it over my head for the first time! I'm also left with a pleasing amount of leather which I'll have a thing what to do with...it could also have made several handles and bases if I'd cocked up.

Sean Mulhall has been inspired by the design/ kit and done a three part video how to on Youtube which is helpful.

DSC00816.jpg

Hmm I had a student on my last course make a tankard and it was miles better than the pictures shown on that site. It honestly wouldn't encourage me to buy one of those.

Not with a ten foot barge-pole! If those've been made using the accompanying instructions then someone needs to either re-read the instructions or the instructions need to be re-written :yikes: .
Ignoring the otherwise very very poor construction and techniques, in this pic the handle is shown having been sewn into the side seam ~ from underneath :yikes: . Just how will it be able to sit flat?

As the website says Advantages: You are responsible for how the tankard turns out! Disadvantages: You are responsible for how the tankard turns out!

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As Bard said, good job goodjob ~ and far better than the examples shown on the site.

The only thing that spoilt it was as I poured beeswax in it it popped and bubbled (too hot by any chance?!) and has 'aged' the lower leather a bit.

Possibly ~ did you warm the leather first?

As the website says Advantages: You are responsible for how the tankard turns out! Disadvantages: You are responsible for how the tankard turns out!

And quite right ~ but, based purely on their own advertising pics, either the instructions are bad/insufficient or their chief instructer's ability to follow them is non existant.

>>> snip <<< and a great introduction to leather working.

The kit costs £24.99 ~ would you be happy to be charged that for either of the three examples of the made up tankard kits on their site?

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Hmm you can buy a big bit of leather for £25:rolleyes:

TBH I made my first tankard by making a card template around a pint glass and allowing a bit extra for the joint. I made the bottom over size soaked it and pressed it in then stitched it around (after fitting the handle;)

The handle is just a strap folded in half and sewn together with a flat at each end to fasten it to the body.

Here's a link to one a did a while back...........

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-47080.html

And here's a link to a basic template..........

http://www.primway.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tankard2.pdf

As for waxing you need to warm the tankard before waxing otherwise the wax sets on contact instead of soaking in.

These are some of mine..........

DSCF2588.jpg

DSCF2584.jpg

Natural coloured veg tanned leather does go darker when waxed any thing from a warm honey colour to dark brown.

If anyone has any question I'll try and answer them?

Richard

Mang

Settler
I did the tankard as per the instructions and can really see myself doing another in the future. Would I pay the cash for one on the site? I wouldn't go out and buy a made one because making one is something I can tick off my bushcraft to do list, I want to try making some small leatherwork bits and pieces anyway, I've got a good amount of spare to try another and for a newbie LePrevo is confusing...this thread concurs http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80149

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE