Woodland tool kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've just been prowling Jack's site over at Woodland Organics and just seen that he has the "Woodland tool kit" up there now. It a tool roll that contains a small Wetterling axe, folding saw and a Frost Mora. I first saw this set at the Outdoor Show at the NEC and I was mightly impressed by it. It looks like a fine cutting kit.

http://www.woodlandorganics.com/shop/edgedtools/axes

:biggthump

EdS

Saw these at the Outdoor show to - impressed with the roll. At present I keep my stuff together in an old Land Rover tool roll.

All Jack's needs is room for my Billhook, rather than a small axe at it'll be temping.

Jack - will you be selling the rolls without the kit?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Saw this at the outdoor show. Cracking bit of kit for beginner and old timer alike. Think I might have to invest in one when we get the Landy (and if Jules will let me :shock: )

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the woodland tool kit looks great, just two questions i was hoping someone might be bale to answer for me.
1, what are wetterlings axes like?
2, does the woodland tool kit come with a leather cover for the axe?
3, (i know, i just thought of this one!!) if woodland organics don't supply a leather cover, then where can i get one!?

thanks in advance,
stuart

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
shaggystu said:
the woodland tool kit looks great, just two questions i was hoping someone might be bale to answer for me.
1, what are wetterlings axes like?
2, does the woodland tool kit come with a leather cover for the axe?
3, (i know, i just thought of this one!!) if woodland organics don't supply a leather cover, then where can i get one!?

thanks in advance,

stuart

Dear Stuart.

Good questions!

1. Wetterlings have been making axes longer than Gransfors, who are also Swedish (and will use them as bench mark) the steel that Wetterlings use is from the same source as Gransfors. Wetterlings handles are made by themselves whereas Gransfors buy them in from a separate supplier. The finish of Wetterlings isn't that of Gransfors, the name is world wide and you can get hold of them! I have spent many years swinging edged tools and I can't really see the difference ( this is where I get shouted at).

2. Yes it can.

Hope that helps.

Jack.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jack said:
... something that holds everything you need and can roll up in to a nice kit that is at home in your day sack or behind the seat of a Land Rover.

Jack said "Land Rover"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

At the NEC show I got the chance to compare Gransfors to Wetterlings axes and here's my take on it ...

Jack says that "the finish of Wetterlings isn't that of Gransfors" ... hmmm, I don't know. Finish wise the Wetterling seems better ... smoother, more polished, overall tidier. I think it's safe to say that the factory edge on the Gransfors is better but after a while you're going to have to maintain that yourself anyway and I can't see the Wetterling being any harder to look after, since the steel is the same. Personally, it's down to a matter of choice. I like my GrannyB SFA but it's still just a chopping tool. If I lost or broke my GrannyB tomorry, I might just get a Wetterling ...

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I agree with Adi' The Wetterlings looks equally as good as the GrannyB, Bowdrill Dave has a Wetterlings hatchet that was a great bit of kit and easy to use. I say they are both on a par with each other :)

Scott

Jan 2, 2004
Coventry, UK
Jack,

Are you going to consider doing the pouches on their own for those of us who have the kit to fill them already, like I mientioned to you at the outdoors show?

Cheers,

Scott

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Scott said:
Jack,

Are you going to consider doing the pouches on their own for those of us who have the kit to fill them already, like I mientioned to you at the outdoors show?

Cheers,

Scott

Evening Scott.

Sorry for the delay..........this is our busy time of the year!

The answer is yes we will..............

Cheers

Jack.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Stu, Wetterlings come with a very robust sheath that slips onto the edge with a securing strap that snaps around the poll. They even have belt loops. I personally like Wetterling handle ergonomics better, though the finish benefits from sanding. Wetts big advantage is the competitive price. in the real world timber doesn't know the difference. :eek:T:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Stu, Wetterlings come with a very robust sheath that slips onto the edge with a securing strap that snaps around the poll. They even have belt loops. I personally like Wetterling handle ergonomics better, though the finish benefits from sanding. Wetts big advantage is the competitive price. in the real world timber doesn't know the difference. :eek:T:
Even though I have and use GB I have to admit that the fit and finish of a Wett has to be seen to be believed. I was really impressed by the finish of the axe head and the handle seemed more robust and better finished than my GB. Also, as you said, the sheath for the axe is better because of the addition of the belt loops.

Compare the Wetterlings Small Hunting Axe and Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe and pay attention to the finish (and price!).
http://www.woodlandorganics.com/shop/edgedtools/axes/index.htm

The Wetts are a great looking and functional bit of kit!

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
It's a bit ironic, we suffer the insult to our finances of shoddy junk and experience while learning this, or any pursuit. Then we find websites such as Bushcraft with quality resources; kit and people. So what do we do? Get into minutae comparisons of the good stuff. GB's or Wetts, I'd be happy owning and using either, or both :lol:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
ChrisKavanaugh said:
It's a bit ironic, we suffer the insult to our finances of shoddy junk and experience while learning this, or any pursuit. Then we find websites such as Bushcraft with quality resources; kit and people. So what do we do? Get into minutae comparisons of the good stuff. GB's or Wetts, I'd be happy owning and using either, or both :lol:

Quite right! :biggthump

If anyone has any spares, send em to me!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
AAARRRGHHH!

I thought I'd made my mind up to go for a GB, but after re-reading this thread I'm as confused as an unsure thing!! - Again.

Dave :oops:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE