Woodland for sale

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Anyone ever looked into this or has it been discussed here before?

Owning your own woodland must be the nutts.

Due to the lack of co operation from most places in england and wales, im now thinking of buying my own land so that i can go camping when ever i like. Seen a few in north wales for between 15k and 30k. Sounds like a lot of money but its no more than a new family car and its freehold and would be a top thing to bring my kids up with and pass on.

Call me mad if you like!

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I have had the same thought, although to much for me to afford haha

If you were able to "joint own" the woodland as you wouldn't be there all of the time and then reduce the cost? also i doubt you'd be under each others feet.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
This has crossed my mind. 30k is 60 people at £500 each.

60 people is a lot but spread over 52 weeks a year every year and with group camps it might work.

Of course you could pay more and have a smaller group etc....

I just think at the moment with the way the law is regarding wild camping, it would be a good family investment. Nothing is ever going to get cheaper for holidays, travel and fuel and having something like this would be life changing and cool!

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
This has crossed my mind. 30k is 60 people at £500 each.

60 people is a lot but spread over 52 weeks a year every year and with group camps it might work.

Of course you could pay more and have a smaller group etc....

I just think at the moment with the way the law is regarding wild camping, it would be a good family investment. Nothing is ever going to get cheaper for holidays, travel and fuel and having something like this would be life changing and cool!

At £1,500 each for 20 people it still isn't bad - considering it is then free camping for life :)

There are conditions though the purchasers are usually asked to enter into a covenant:-

The vendors are trying to ensure that the purchaser does not use the wood or meadow for anything which would be a nuisance to neighbours such as vehicle racing, or anything noisy or smelly. The purchaser will also be asked not to subsequently divide the ownership of the wood or meadow into smaller units or erect signboards on the woodland or meadow.

Wording of the covenant (or "legal promise") for the transfer
The purchaser hereby covenants with the vendor that the land shall not be used in such a way as to create a nuisance to the neighbouring owners (including the vendor) and specifically the purchasers shall not, and not permit others to:

do any rough or game shooting or pest control at times or in a manner constituting a nuisance or danger to any neighbour;
use the land or access tracks for any sort of racing whether with motor bikes, cars or other vehicles;
use the land for a commercial campsite;
use the land for clay pigeon shooting;
conduct any business from the land apart from forestry or agriculture;
use the land in a way which will damage the access tracks.
The purchaser and successors in title shall not erect any signboards visible from the public highway
The purchaser and successors in title shall not sell the land except as a whole specifically not in such a way that it could be registered in separate titles or in separate ownerships.

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
After a recent thread which made me aware that people did own small forests I did a quick trawl of tinternet , unfortunately I don't have the sums of money being asked for anything near me , nor does there seem to be much near except for some in north wales.

This does sound quite a good candidate for a "group buy", after all several groups could happily occupy a wood at once.
as long as it wasn't the 2/3 acre one that looked about 5m wide !!!!

MB

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
At £1,500 each for 20 people it still isn't bad - considering it is then free camping for life :)

There are conditions though the purchasers are usually asked to enter into a covenant:-

The vendors are trying to ensure that the purchaser does not use the wood or meadow for anything which would be a nuisance to neighbours such as vehicle racing, or anything noisy or smelly. The purchaser will also be asked not to subsequently divide the ownership of the wood or meadow into smaller units or erect signboards on the woodland or meadow.

Wording of the covenant (or "legal promise") for the transfer
The purchaser hereby covenants with the vendor that the land shall not be used in such a way as to create a nuisance to the neighbouring owners (including the vendor) and specifically the purchasers shall not, and not permit others to:

do any rough or game shooting or pest control at times or in a manner constituting a nuisance or danger to any neighbour;
use the land or access tracks for any sort of racing whether with motor bikes, cars or other vehicles;
use the land for a commercial campsite;
use the land for clay pigeon shooting;
conduct any business from the land apart from forestry or agriculture;
use the land in a way which will damage the access tracks.
The purchaser and successors in title shall not erect any signboards visible from the public highway
The purchaser and successors in title shall not sell the land except as a whole specifically not in such a way that it could be registered in separate titles or in separate ownerships.

I think that could be stuck to, would need an agreement to be sorted through the solicitor for the financial side of it all and as long as we didnt charge people for camping there all would be good. I dont know if its got legs this or if there are enough people interested with enough cash but I would be well up for it.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
It's something we have considered and if there were any others in the south east who'd be interested in a joint purchase, would be well up for it if there was a suitable piece of land available

Thinking ahead, if groups in the north and south had group buys then using each others would be an idea.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
There's another one next to this , I just thought this was a little far out for regular visits although I'm in the same neck of the woods (so to speak) as you.

MB

I think a problem might be trying to get enough people in the same neck of the woods to make one of these viable. As mentioned, I am well up for something like this if we could get enough people interested and agreed on where to buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE