wooden scabbard for kukri machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Browsing through some forums I am always amazed, looking at the great sheaths for knives and such.
I wanted something like that too..... but different. I had to make a choice. I liked leather, but it would be pretty expensive, given the cost of the materials and quite a lot of work too. Kydex would be appropriate for a working tool like this, but again costs of material and shipping would be considerable.
Someone I know makes medieval swords and scabbards and he suggested that I'd do one in wood for this blade. He also suggested I should use poplarwood, because its better for the metal.

I bought a sheet of 4mm poplar multiplex, which gives enough wood for 3 scabbards for only €5!
I took measurements and cut 3 forms, top, bottom and middle section. Then I cut the latter into a strip 1cm wide and sanded them all down. I glued the strip onto the bottom and now I have to decide how to finish it all, befor putting it together.
The first option is to simply paint it mossgreen and add a webbing loop to it or go for elaborate and varnish the wood, burn a motive into it and construct an all leather loop and beltsystem....
I like the sound of the latter option, but that would mean I have to cut off the plastic grip of the blade and make a wooden handle, too.

choices.....choices....

Enough talk. Pictures!!
kukri1.jpg

I left some room, so I can make an indentation for the grip later on.
kukri2.jpg

kukri3.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Appearantly is has something to do with the chemistry of the juices inside the wood.
Poplar seems to be quite neutral and pine for instance is accidic, causing a speed up of corrosion.

Or so i have been told......

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That looks pretty damned good. Going to follow developments on this one, that's for sure.

Personally I'd got for an oiled finish, like Linseed oil, simply because the sheath could take a battering over the years and a painted finsh would soon get scarred. Just find a suitable oil that won't break down the glue that makes up the plywood laminates. I'm not sure if linseed oil would or not, just one of those things I'd heard. Perhaps a waxed finish might be better. INSIDE the sheath as well as outside.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Good luck.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Aha! I have an old Kuk that's sheathless. Now I have another entry on my list of things to have a go at!

Do post more pics I would love to see how this turns out.

Z

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Finally an update!

I closed the scabbard and sanded it round and smooth.

5kukri2.jpg

5kukri3.jpg

I also undressed the machete itself. With a chisel and hamer I split open the hard rubber handle, so I can make an appropriate wooden handle. Chiselling off the handle was quite easy actually.

5kukri.jpg

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Just a thought for you Ron, but my Angkhola Khukhari came in a wooden scabbard covered with thin buffalo hide. I couldn't say if that was typical of all khukharis from the Khukhari House in Nepal, but I've heard of several others constructed so. Maybe you could use some old sofa leather to cover your scabbard.

That's a nice job you've done too.

Al

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks for the comments, gents!

And we keep on tinkering about...... I turned my attention to making the handle.
I used the same principle as I did with the scabbard. I glued 2 layers together on each side, with 1 in the middle. I cut and sanded this to fit the metal end and I glued it all together using 2 wooden dowels and epoxyglue.
When fully cured I will saw and sand the handle untill it sits comfortably in my hand. The main advantage of this method is that handle and scabbard match perfectly. The downside is that the wood starts to splinter, as soon as you touch it with a drill. Not tthat that's a big problem, because I will finish the handle by wrapping leather around it.

6kukri5-1.jpg

6kukri4-1.jpg

6kukri3-1.jpg

The scabbard has rreceived 2 coats of onboiled lineseedoil. This brought out the orange more and as a bonus gave a purple colour in one of the underlying layers!
6kukri1.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
And this is the result of a morning in the sun, sawing, carving and sanding.
The handle is taylormade to fit in my right hand and I sanded 2 indentations for thumb and little finger in it.

The handle;
kukri3-1.jpg

Handle and scabbard;
kukri5.jpg

kukri4.jpg

And after applying the oil to the handle;
kukri2-1.jpg

kukri1-1.jpg

"All" I need to do now is make a carrying system out of leather for it.... I'll start with that next week.

Thanks for looking!

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
Nice work, good the see the cold steel with a wooden look, are you going to stain it or just leave it to get darker naturally?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
well, my "woodsneakers" are done, so time to turn my attention to this project again!

For some time I have been thinking about a way to carry this scabbard with some sort of leatherwebbing, but I just couldn't figure out how to do it. I spent many hours, thinking, fitting, adjusting, sewing, rethinking and taking apart again... untill....
It hit me!

A simple, effective and goodlooking system using only a handfull of straps and some rivets. Took me about half an hour to assemble!!
The hole thing can be taken apart, which makes very easy maintanance or repairing and gravity makes sure the straps are tight, when carrying the scabbard and machete.
It isn't quite finished uey. Have to finetune the strapends and add a lockingstrap around the handle. I'll post detailed pictures when all is completely done.

scab6.jpg

scab4.jpg

Because there is much more wood showing now, then was originally intended, I decided to adorn the empty space with my favorite animal, of which I burned a silhouette into the wood
scab2.jpg

When I tried to sand off the left over blue ink, I was horrified to see that the blackenend wood smudged and smeared the surrounding wood!! I think the oil is partially to blame for that. I just hope the when the wood is oiled repeatedly and it turns darker over time, the black will not be as visible anymore.
scab3.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks Mel!
Good to see it has inspired you..... into doing what?? I'm curious now... ;)

Anyway, I finished this project today!!!
Added the last pieces and rounded of the ends.

scab2totaal.jpg
scab2achterzijde.jpg

scab2drieeenheid.jpg

scab2riemen.jpg

scab2detailriem.jpg

This is how I will be wearing it;
scab2dragend.jpg

I deliberately made a larger beltloop, so it fits over an army issuebelt, too. All that needs to be done is add a wristcord.

Thanks for watching and commenting, gents!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE