Wooden pipe making?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2006
Scotland
Anyone know/tried any methods of making their own wooden pipe? I did a google search and didnt find anything too productive, Ive already carved a bowl piece and a seperate stem piece from the same bit of birch, but am a bit unsure as to how best to join them for both durability and smokability, any help would be greatfully appreciated

PS:Im not a gandalf wannabe, the smoke helps keep the midges at bay when youy stray from the fire in the evening

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I made one from birch burl and elder - I just went for a tight friction fit. Once you've smoked it a bit the nicotine will seal up and small leaks and tighten the fit up nicely. They can still be seperated, but they hold together well enough.

W

wiggles

i might have a go,they are beautiful things

shelock holmes:)

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
When I was a kid, we made our own pipes to smoke by the campfire in the following fashion...

Take a dry birch (diameter approx. 5 cm), and saw off apiece about 5 cm long. You then drill a hole about 3 cm diameter about 3/4 of the way down....you then find a reed about 10 cm long and drill a hole in the side of the birchwood at an angle....push the reed in and...voila!

It takes about 15 minutes to make, and does the job :)

Marko

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Slightly off topic here, but if you want to smoke to keep the midgies at bay, and you don't normally smoke tobacco, bramble leaves work well.

You pick a bunch of bramble leaves, thread them onto a piece of cotton with a needle from your sewing kit, hang them over or near the campfire to dry, and when they are dry and crumbly, you smoke them in a pipe.

It works well, isn't adictive and was mentioned in Culpepper's Herbal as a remedy for respiritory ailments (although you needn't inhale of course).

Eric

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Eric_Methven said:
It works well, isn't adictive and was mentioned in Culpepper's Herbal as a remedy for respiritory ailments (although you needn't inhale of course).

Eric
Is that the stuff Bill Clinton didn't try?
According to mr Konchanski the dried bark of red dogwood "makes a superior tobbacco additive"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE