Woodburning Stove help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Hi,

Looking at getting a wood burning stove put in and narrowed down to a choice between a Nordpeis Bergen and a Burley Hollywell. Both 5kW nominal but the Burley is a convection design.

Has anyone got experience of either brand or of a convection design stove (box in a box) against the more conventional type stove?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Darren

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Why do you want a stove which uses round wood? Garbage/salvage woods can be manufactured into super-compressed wood pellets.
Such stoves have an adjustable feed rate that does take some fiddle to fine tune for your home heating, -30C and colder.

A Canadian "unit" train is a mile long, pulled and pushed by 4 x 4,000Hp diesel electric locomotives.
Every day of the year, they deliver pellets to east coast ships bound for Scandanavian countries.

I have run a Harman PP38+ pellet stove for more than 10 years to heat my mountain home 2 x 1200 sqft.
That's about 1/2 the cost of running the oil-fired central heating furnace (back up & when I'm away for more than 72hrs.)
The stove paid for itself in the first 3 winters. Then, it has paid for all of my solar-power back-up power supply for the house in the next 3 winters.
So, 6 winters and about $8,000 in savings.

I have no desire to mess with round wood, either to source it or to buy it. I get a ton/2,000lbs as 50 x 40lb bags, delivered to my front yard on the edge of the street.
That runs, depending on the weather, maybe 25-35 days. Never a winter of more than 5 tons @ $275.00 each.

Hindsight: If I could have a pellet stove that I could have in the upper level of my home (and afford it), it would be one of the fantastic Scandanavian
soapstone stoves. The stone is such an even heat ballast. Plus, they are crazy nice to look at.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE