Wood whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I watched god ( I mean mr Mears ) on tv this week making a whistle from a branch so tonight me and the mini me's went and had a go
What a great way to spend time with friends and family and for me a great way for the boys to practice there knife skills

So anyone else had a go and does anyone have any other small projects that I can amaze my onlookers with

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
A whistle is on my to do list too, but here's some small projects you might want to try:
06e57b03.jpg

IMG_4165_zps0bc3675b.jpg

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
bb07, how on earth did you managed that axe?????

Very slowly:). It was the first time I ever tried such a thing. I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

The axe looks great ill give it a go any tips on wood to use I imagine something hard is needed

I don't think the wood matters at all, as I used aspen. Anything should work I would think.

and a sharp knife :D

Yes, a sharp knife is essential, the sharper the better!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Love it bbo7
If I knew anyone could have made an axe that small I would have fitted a boiler and made a steam launch instead.

Robin Wood would be the best man to ask about which wood would be the best wood to carve. "Boy that was nearly as hard to type as it was to think!"
Once again great work there Brogoodjob

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lime is generally regarded as the best carving wood, but if your knife is sharp you can carve most things. Cherry and other fruitwoods are also good, but harder.

As for carving projects, spoons are obvious, and then you can progress to ladles, forks, small bowls and kuksas, wooden cups, butter knives, carved pendant necklaces (you can then play with staining and dyeing them too, and making cordage for them). Or stick a load of different length whistles side by side and make some pan pipes.

Have fun.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Love it bbo7
If I knew anyone could have made an axe that small I would have fitted a boiler and made a steam launch instead.

Robin Wood would be the best man to ask about which wood would be the best wood to carve. "Boy that was nearly as hard to type as it was to think!"
Once again great work there Brogoodjob

Thanks:). I love your little boat, that must have been something to make!
I'm afraid my axe is much too big for it:rolleyes:

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Ok why do i get the impression that the shoemakers elves are invading your places or are borrowers real ?
Where do people keep finding all these large objects from. I mean giant matches, knives and pound coins.very impresses stuff.

Ok I think I've been rumbled.:rolleyes:

The boat was a doddle, she was built at Lilliput Dockyards, maybe it's the Pound Coin that’s fake;).

The Nanobot that dreamt BIG.:ban:

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Is there a more recent post on making whistles or instruments?
Does anyone still here do it?
I’m sure I saw some illustrations of wooden whistles when I first looked at this site but I can’t find them now.

(Warning - I can wax long and lyrical on the subject but I’ll restrain myself!)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I used to have four or five videos on YouTube on how to make different types of whistle and flutes, i deleted them a few years back, doesn't help you now i know, i'll look later to see if i still have copies in the ol' archive on the pooter.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I used to make a slide (Swanny) whistle from Sycamore spring growth where I’d gently tap the bark to release the inner wood and use the bark as the slide. I’ve lost the knack of it and never found a guide.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
A swanney whistle is just about the hardest one that there is. I find that any drying in the wood and you’ve lost any tone in the mid range.

You can get exactly the same sound as a swanney whistle from a short straight (unperforated ) whistle. You can even play Beethoven on it. I’ve made them from all sorts of stuff, even pottery.

It’s not exactly bushcraft but I run workshops whereby a group of up to twenty folk make either a sort of hybrid NA flute or else an overtone flute and learn to play it in a couple of hours. I use plastic conduit so not quite appropriate here.
Also I’m not advertising!!!!!! I do it only occasionally for fun these days and only cover my costs. I used to run workshops at festivals and gatherings.

I love seeing people’s eyes light up as they “voice” a pipe for the first time.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE