Wood uses database

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
EDIT: See posts below for more info on the Bushcraft database http://bcd.awardspace.info .

Firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong forum.
A while ago there was a thread started by Mat regarding wood properties/uses and someone mentioned that it was a database oppurtunity. So I have compiled a BASIC webpage format of a database.
I have only done the first few trees (around 5) in alphabetical order, i will do the rest if the first part is deemed a good idea.

Most of the info was pulled from the thread (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6295&referrerid=3861) . Other little bits were from the Ray Mears handbook.

If people think that this is a good idea then I will compile the rest of the database. A search function could be added. The pages could be elaborated with pictures and other detail, possibly tutorials for the specific uses? The pages could be expanded with more information to make them more useful.
I havent added pictures as I was unsure of copyright concerns.

Here is the link to the webpage:
www.postbrickfilms.com/aclegomation/Wooduses/index.htm

What do people think? I look forward to your comments

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Spark said:
Firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong forum.
A while ago there was a thread started by Mat regarding wood properties/uses and someone mentioned that it was a database oppurtunity. So I have compiled a BASIC webpage format of a database.
I have only done the first few trees (around 5) in alphabetical order, i will do the rest if the first part is deemed a good idea.

Most of the info was pulled from the thread (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6295&referrerid=3861) . Other little bits were from the Ray Mears handbook.

If people think that this is a good idea then I will compile the rest of the database. A search function could be added. The pages could be elaborated with pictures and other detail, possibly tutorials for the specific uses? The pages could be expanded with more information to make them more useful.
I havent added pictures as I was unsure of copyright concerns.

Here is the link to the webpage:
www.postbrickfilms.com/aclegomation/Wooduses/index.htm

What do people think? I look forward to your comments

Nice one Spark, dont stop now :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent stuff mate!

Concerning pictures: if they don't pop into this thread, you might want to try and PM Neil1 & Jon Pickett. Both extremely helpfull and friendly blokes, who, IIRC both have a lot of pics they perhaps want to share with you.
Just a thought ;)

I know there's a thread somewhere around (IIRC by Rich59 :confused: ) with bowdrill / wood combinations. Might be interesting to add the recommended combination in your database.

All in all, looks great - I'll bookmark it, and hope I can use it for the plantencyclopedia :D

:You_Rock_

EDIT: Found this link:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=14007

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spark,

I have a number of reference shots of more unusual trees (spindle, wayfaring, tulip etc.) that you would be welcome to if you get this off the ground. I have most of the common ones too of course but not every variant of, say, oak. If its any help and you want some, drop me a PM

Red

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad you like the idea.
If anyone has any pictures that they wouldn't mind being put in the database then please send them to me or PM me.

Ahjno: I will contact Neil1 and John Pickett later this week unless they find the thread, I will give them chance to find the thread.

British Red: The pictures will be very handy. I will PM you later this week, as I am going away for 2 days.

I was thinking of puting pictures of the trees overall, leaves, fruit, flowers and bark as in the collins guides. However that depends on getting the pictures of them which could take a while. Or should I leave that to the other resources?

Should I include info on the trees such as height, habitat etc, if so what level of detail?
Also, if anybody has more info on any uses of trees then post them here.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
I have finally managed to get this project going and off the ground. The site has found a home at 'awardspace'. The new url is www.bcd.awardspace.info

There is still a lot of work needed on the site as the info is fairly basic, hopefully it will be expanded when the information is acquired.
I am going to go through the site and work out the gaps that need filling so that the site can be improved. Once I have the list I will post it so people can contribute any knowledge they have.
As yet there are no links to the home page from the tree pages as I haven't thought of a design I like, but I will try and work something out.

Cant think of anything more to say without repeating what I've said on the home page, so I look forward to your feedback.

Spark

Reactions: Ahjno

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Wow that is an amazing piece of work :You_Rock_ . One bug I noticed is the only buttons that have the name of the tree on them are Alder, Ash and Birch. If you move the curser over the others they show up black but there not there the rest of the time. The links work fine though, and grate stuff! could you get the BCUK people to put this thread up as a sticky somewhere?

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Thanks for the feedback, i will get round to fixing the bugs out tommorow night. Over the weekend I will post the list of gaps that are on the site here so you lot can help me out with filling them in.

As to getting the topic sticky would i have to contact Tony?

Cheers for the rep bent-stick :beerchug:
Got to go for now will write more later.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
All the tree links work for me but I can't see any titles, just the boxes. And the first "Tree uses" link doesn't work either. Sorry for the bad news :eek: (still it could be my computer playing silly beggars again :rolleyes: )

Ps great idea and well put together :You_Rock_

Hope this helps

Andy

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Im sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings again :( . but when you click on one of the tree buttons and then hit the back button to the mane list the slide bar on the side is no longer there :confused: , if you refresh the page it comes back. This reminds me why I never bothered with web design :rolleyes: .

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Hmm dunno why those pics aren't showing up, i've screwed up somewhere! The first link to the tree uses is also incorrect, i really should have checked ALL of the links. I will sort out all the problems tonight.

As for not seeing the side bar i haven't a clue whats going on there.
Also I could really do with any pics anyone has of trees (full pics, leaves, or bark) that can be be positively I.D.

Thanks Spark

EDIT: I have fixed all the problems that I have been pointed out.

The sections that are mentioned below have no entries, anyone able to fill them up?
Alder properties, Horse Chestnut Properties, Peach Properties and Burning Properties, Pear uses, Plum Properties, Rowan Properties and Burning Properties, Scots pine Properties, Sweet Chestnut Properties and Burning Properties, and Sycamore Burning Properties.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
An excellent website, in my favourites too.

Only one thing I was a little unsure of: Sweet chestnut, the nuts are edible but to roast them it is easier to leave on the shell, just cut an X through one side of the shell. Keeps them cleaner, and they peel so much easier. Also cook more evenly so the outside has less chance of being charred.

Only my thoughts, and I'm no expert. But thought it may help beginners like me to get the most from their harvest.

Keep up the good work.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Helpful tip there hawsome34, experience helps a lot. Your tip will be added to the database. I ve not tried Sweet Chestnut, I just pulled the info from another thread so I am basing it on others experience.

Thanks for the good comments everyone.

Spark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE