wood type

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I used birch on birch for a bowdrill today and produced a load of char dust, a load of smoke but no ember :(. I thought I was doing well when I got masses of smoke, but I must have been doing something wrong...

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
It was very dark brown to the point of appearing black and was not too coarse, I don't think (I'm not too experienced at this :-\). It was such that it was sticking to the hearth board, but I'm not sure how well it was sticking to itself, though.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
you really want it to be a very fine jat black (well you really want it to be glowing)..

once you have a thick smoke and you think you have done enough.. keep going twice as long again!! :wave:

leon-1

Rhapsody said:
It was very dark brown to the point of appearing black and was not too coarse, I don't think (I'm not too experienced at this :-\). It was such that it was sticking to the hearth board, but I'm not sure how well it was sticking to itself, though.

Rhapsody, at first I thought that you may have been using too much weight on the bearing block, but from the sounds of it tomtom could well be correct, maybe a little more bow speed and a little more time once you hit this stage and you will be there, good luck :biggthump

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Bloomin 'eck, my arms'll fall off!

I think I'll take Ed's advice and try different combinations, preferably ones that don't need arms like Arnie to work!

Thanks for the advice, tomtom.

[edit] leon, I may well have been using too much downwards pressure... heavy-handedness is usually my problem, haha! I'll keepthat in mind next time around.

Thanks for all the help, guys; you're all great!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE