Wood Stove/Heater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robwa10

Jun 17, 2010
England
After seeing some MYOG creations and the TiGoat and Kifaru I was inspired to begin thinking about something for me and my two year old for next Autumn and Winter. I liked the better cooking ability of the square stoves but was looking for a way to save some weight as well. So I decided upon this space ship look!

It's 720grams, 240mm long x 150mm wide x 127 high and tool less assembly. Though it's made out of .5mm SS so the weight would go down if I make another with .3mm like TiGoat and Kifaru use. Just need to get some T-Nuts for the feet to screw into.

For pics I'm afraid you'll have to go here as I've not sussed the uploading on here yet.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/44833/last/1/V/8/SP/

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Nice work, I like the idea of having some sort of heater for the harsher weather. At 720g it's around double the size of my honey stove.

Have you thought about a collapsible flu? (I wouldn't know where to begin!).

robwa10

Jun 17, 2010
England
Thanks for all the compliments and here's some answers to the questions.

>Any chance of some pics of it in action?
The next time I fire it up I'll make sure I take some. Got to do some more tweaking of it this week so hopefully will get some soon.

>Does the narrowing at the bottom have any impact with it getting choked up?
I've used some grate in the bottom, will have to take a picture, and there's an air hole that feeds under the grate to help. There were no discernible problems.

>What size and height of flue are you using, how does it attach?
For the trial burn it was just a SS tube around 12 inches tall that a flask I bought came in. For the finished product the flue/Chimney will be either 2 3/8" or 3" and will be like these http://www.titaniumgoat.com/pipe-parts.html. Height will probably be around 5 to 6 foot.

> Performance?
Well on the trial burn it was roaring. But without a damper the airflow was so great that the flame was almost horizontal most of the time. I had 500ml of water in my mini Trangia pot on top and it had just come to a boil when I ran out of wood about 20 mins after lighting. I had roughly 3/4 a biscuit tin of twigs. With a damper and airflow control on the front, just sorting that one out, I am sure it would go much longer with better heat.

robwa10

Jun 17, 2010
England
A few more pics, even some action ones!
Here's one of the redesigned airport on the front. The simple solutions are usually the easiest!
CS_Airflow.jpg

And some burn pics with an improvised chimney and damper inside it.
CS_Test_1.jpg

CS_Test_1_Burning.jpg

CS_Test_1_Close.jpg

CS_Test_1_Burning_Open.jpg

The damper makes a big difference. Even though it wasn't the best made one, made it in about 5 minutes, I could control the airflow much better. As a result I could get some really good heat going. I'm amazed at how much heat is lost up the chimney without one.

It brought 500ml of water to roiling boil in 25mins from lighting the fire. Speed of course isn't the objective as it is a heater for the shelter as well. Did a vid on my phone about a minute long so I will try to get that up tonight.

Also, by my rough and ready calculations making it from .3mm SS should make it around 200 grams lighter.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Nice design, triangluar not seen that before!

have you thought about titanium? I got a 710x 510 mm sheet from a chap on ebay quite reasonably.

Had a go a while back at making a firebox/ cooker/ heater - a couple of attempts using scrap 1mm thick steel from the local shipyard [well difficult to get hold of that they use stuff REALLY thick]. found it alittle too heavy for backpacking at 3 kg!
After refining design, sizes etc and using titanium may get one 315mm L 215 H 175 W at about 800g [not inc. flue & damper - still need to think about that bit alittle more]

Anyway well impressed buy your creation... nice one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE