wood storage tips needed

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I've got a load of wood from a few chopped down trees and want to learn to carve and make use of the wood .
can anyone tell me how I should store the wood or treat i so it doesn't crack and split

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Much easier to carve green wood so seal the ends with a smear of wood glue and wrap in plastic. You want to keep moisture in so store in a cool dark place.
More importantly just crack on with it ;)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I wax the ends to stop splitting. The last few days I've waxed quite a few pieces I intend to carve.

I boil up wax in a mess tin, strip the bark off the wood, heat the ends of the wood and dip in wax. Do both ends and then store somehwere dry and in weeks/months depending on size they will be dry and stable.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
As below however i usually split my wood down into useable sizes to make spoons, kuksa etc... and store in a nearly (but not fully) closed plastic bag away from any heat sources.
Essentially you want to stop it from drying out too quickly whoch causes cracking/splitting - keeping it in a sealed bag or container with a hole to allow small amount of moisture escape slowly seems to work for me.

Ive never bothered with sealing the ends but understand this works well for larger pieces of wood.

Hamster

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
alot of my wood lately has been plumb, and I tried oiling the ends with linseed oil but it still split in 2 days when stored in my shed!

Wax works best for wood that loves to twist and split.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
alot of my wood lately has been plumb, and I tried oiling the ends with linseed oil but it still split in 2 days when stored in my shed!

Wax works best for wood that loves to twist and split.

Most of the fruit woods i have worked want to warp and check as soon as look at them.
Probably due to their native high MC and high SG (density)

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
or freeze it in the deep freeze,i have a couple of green burls i am carving in the freezer for when i have more time etc.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I'd hazard a guess at the beloved Leyland cyprus - Cupressus leylandii. But I could be wrong, any pics of the wood?

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
DSC_0036.jpg
here you go .
thinking of making the largest trunk a bit of a project and taking so time on it . Hoping to make a pixie,fairy Tree House,village .
that holds a few plants,herbs for the garden

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE