wood carving chissels (advice needed)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I like that bench better than any design I have seen and I have been looking a lot lately. I may try to build a smaller one similar to yours. Have you considered drilling holes in the side to support long boards for jointing?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I like that bench better than any design I have seen and I have been looking a lot lately. I may try to build a smaller one similar to yours. Have you considered drilling holes in the side to support long boards for jointing?

Hi weaver, yes indeed I have, and may well do so when the need arises. I've not had any call to joint any long board's, when I laminate chair seats I can joint holding the staves just in the vice (grips like an angry badger:D ) Or use the bench stop, whatever.
I like the german type board jack where its on a stand, it can go anywhere. I may add a french style front hook on the side as well (roubo style) Those hold fast's have to be used to be believed, they are so good and useful :D I only paid $80 for them, the rest of the materials, less than $200 IIRC, bench screw about $25 (I am not competenet with cutting wood screw threads)
I should of mentioned, the top is fastened with long coach bolts with extra wide washer's. There are a couple of cross strut's between the front and rear apron's (apart from the 2 end ones) to add stiffness and prevent the apron's bulging or flexing. The bolts run through elongated slots to allow for movement (larger version of fixing a table top) The rear apron is free floating. Only the front one is fixed (pegged to the frame with oak peg's) All the mortices were made 1 inch wide, 1 inch in. I used a 1" bit in a brace, clean up with a 2 inch chisle and a corner chisle (excelent time saver the corner chisle). Offset the peg hole on the tennon's by 3mm or so towards the tennon shoulder so the joint tighten's naturally as you drive the peg home.
Its near a year since it was built I think, and its settled nicely in fact I will have a look soon at the flatnes to see what its like after a 12 month of use (although I dont worship at the altar of "flat" flat as some do especially on UK workshop :rolleyes: :D
If you want any diagrams or any other info plaese ask :)
Cheers Jonathan :)

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Oh, if you have drawings that would be a great time saver. I usually build by sight, or just look and build. But a bench may be a different animal. I think plans would help.

If I need to check something for flat I use my table saw. It's not one of the monster cabinet saws but it is the flattest surface I have.

So do you have pictures of chairs you have built? I'd like to see what you make.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Oh, if you have drawings that would be a great time saver. I usually build by sight, or just look and build. But a bench may be a different animal. I think plans would help.

If I need to check something for flat I use my table saw. It's not one of the monster cabinet saws but it is the flattest surface I have.

So do you have pictures of chairs you have built? I'd like to see what you make.

When I say diagram I am thinking more along the lines of a schematic concept sketch that shows the general arrangement, basic construction etc, I dont have a blueprint of it. Its up to you to decide on your dimensions, working height, length/width etc. Consider what vice arrangement and bear in mind how it will be fixed to the bench assembly, what hardware you will need to get for it; also what lumber do you have available? Then draw out the arrangement full size on plywood (rod) or you may be more familiar with story stick's? Same basic idea, to transfer dimensions as they are rather than rely on abstract measuring (tape etc) which is easier to make error's with. Its the thinking behind pinch rod's, scribing (coping) etc. I did have some such on potobuket but it got edited off a while back, but I could do another, wouldnt take long
Heres a few chair pics as you asked :)
This first one was literally made form crappy discarded bits of recycled joist, scrap and firewood. Total cost about $3!
wood&

The others are mostly oak, ash and pine, coloured with home made oil glazes. They are mixed up from artist's oil colour, real turpentine, danish oil, boiled linseed, and accelerator's in various proportion's.
bluestool3.jpg

This stickback with joined arm is now a rich rusty maroon colour and is my eldest boy's favourite chair (we fight for it :D )
work3.jpg

redstool2a.jpg

This last one is not finished. It will have some more colours applied, possibly cut back with caustic soda, finished with wax.
bgchair1.jpg

Cheers Jonathan :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE