Sourcing logs for carving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 30, 2017
Bedfordshire
Hi! I'm new to the forum and am looking for some advice on where to find some logs for wood carving please.

I have decided to try and make my partner a kuksa cup for his birthday present. I have bought the necessary tools and read quite a bit but need to source a suitable piece of wood - I understand that birch, lime or cherry would be good but can't seem to find any stockists online. There seem to be many website which sell carving 'blanks' which don't have the thickness to carve a cup from, so I was hoping to buy a suitable log or two from somewhere.

I am in touch with a local tree surgeon who said I'd be welcome to look at what's at his yard but I wouldn't know what is what and can't easily go at times which suit him.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks very much. :)

- Holly

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The tree surgeon would know what he has in his yard, if you can fix a time that suits. Having a log sent from eBay sounds like money wasted.

I'm sure there are supplies of turning blanks that have larger sections for sale. I'm not a turner, but your question has come up before on here.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would go with the local tree surgeon. I find it does not matter what hardwood you use, as long as it is fresh which makes for easier carving.

Buying online - you never know what you get.

Sep 8, 2017
Forest of Dean
Tree surgeons burn 5000 calories a day. They also tend to love refined carbohydrates. So if you hear the sound of chainsaws I ready do recommend going over having a chat and offering them a few packets of biscuits. Then they will cut you the wood to length. As for the type of timer. Cherry is my fave wood to work. But try get it so it's fast grown. With deep forms only use a quarter section of the log otherwise it may split.

Anna x

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Local tree surgeon. If you've never done carving I would try some spoons to get used to it, doing a kuksa might feel like biting off rather a lot as a first thing (hand blisters galore).

I used to work for a guy who often posted green wood, 2 foot sections sometimes, all over the shop for carving. Absolute madness. Just phone up a local tree surgeon, woodland manager, green woodworker etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE