Wood carving books, suggestions?

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Hi folks, can anyone reccomend any books on woodcarving? I've heard that Wille Sundquist's Swedish Carving techniques is brilliant but also very expensive. Does anyone know of anything similar in nature but more easily obtainable?

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
That's a bit like asking what type of knife to buy :) What type of carving are you interested in? Cariacature, chip carving, relief, flat plane, in the round? There's different tools, different techniques, for each. For Swedish style carving, or flat plane, there are lots of different books available. You could try this American forum - http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/ - there's loads of info on there, or have a look at Gene Messer on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/whittler0507 - he has lots of tutorials on there using just a knife.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
ive got a whittling and wood carving book/ i had it for xmas but i dont do much carving its got good pics showing how to do all sorts of carving.
iam going to put it on ebay when i get back from my weekend camp meet but if you want it just send a pm 5pound with p and p

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Have a look at woodwork magazines in WH Smith, they often have inserts with long lists of book on all woodworking subjects. There is also a woodcarving magazine which is very good, I think it comes out every two months though.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What do you want to carve? Sundqvist is about carving spoons ladles and bowls. It also shows the various grips, techniques and talks about tools and sharpening. By far the best there is if that is what you want to do, though rather dated.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
What do you want to carve? Sundqvist is about carving spoons ladles and bowls. It also shows the various grips, techniques and talks about tools and sharpening. By far the best there is if that is what you want to do, though rather dated.

That's what I want to do, utility carving I guess you could call it. It's just a shame about the price of Sundqvist's book, something else along that line would be superb.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's what I want to do, utility carving I guess you could call it. It's just a shame about the price of Sundqvist's book, something else along that line would be superb.

Best available at reasonable price is greenwoodwork by Drew langsner, it has a few pages on Sundqvists work and other stuff too.

Last edited:

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Willie Sundquist is the father of Jugge Sundqvist (alias "Surolle" which is translated something like "surly Olle" :D) and both write great books about carving. Here is Jugges homepage http://www.surolle.se/ click on "grejer" and you find a smal sample of his work.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'd say Wile sundqvists book is well worth the expence. He is clearly in touch with the traditions of his father and grandfather reaching waaaay back into history. Its all old basic sound stuff, he doesnt try to reinvent the wheel, or act like some arty "curator" :rolleyes:. Every sentence contains useful nuggets of practical information, and its a reference you can return to again and again.

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
I like an old book that you can pick up second hand without too much trouble. It's Whittling and Woodcarving, by E.J. Tangerman.
A quick Google search will show many buying options.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE