Knife selection advice

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Perhaps you can find something similar in the below link. I have not seen or used one, but people seem to get on with them. And considering the specs and industry-standard heat treatment (they are heat treated in Peters), they are good value items. They sometimes appear in EM forums as a second hand as well.

 
A very similar knife if you do not mind the carbon steel.

 
A very similar knife if you do not mind the carbon steel.

I like the look of that but does it need to be 5mm thick? Seems to be a trend right now that everything is built to pry open bank vaults.
 
There's quite a few 5mm knives that have a combination grind on them which makes them terriffic slicers, being relatively thin from mid blade to the edge. The Fallkniven F1 micarta is one example. I understand Alan Wood really uses it too.
 
Lionsteel M4 is the best fixed blade I ever owned for the money

I just got one in for using as a general do-it-all knife and I am really impressed with the Lionsteel M4!

I also noticed that the protruding back end of the tang is squared now, so it throws a wicked spark. According to Gianni - that is a recent upgrade. Nice.

-Emile
 
Build a few knives from old steel. Nothing cosmetic, nothing pretty, about them. Beat the bejeezlies out of them, doing everything from peeling a peach to opening a coconut. I cannot think of a better way to learn what a knife means in your bushcraft. Then, and only then, you know what you want in a bladesmith's creation.

The shapes of the sweeps are everything to wood carver's crooked knives. I repurposed blades and steels to make maybe 2 dozen(?) of my own crooked knives in my own handles.
I learned what I wanted. I learned what I needed.
I've bought a few in the last 5 years. Quite a pleasure.
 
The knife in the OP doesn't loom to be a kick in the backside off the shape of a Manly Patriot, which comes on D2 for 45 quid.
Not really seeing any downsides to that unless you want a prybar knife you can hit on the spine with a brick in which case just use a chisel.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE