wood burning stove in a council house ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Go here to check if you are in an area with restrictions. But even if you are, you can purchase a stove that conforms to the current legislation.. I have a morso, which is crazily efficient and can be used in an area listed as 'controlled'
I can't answer if your council will let you install one though.

http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/locations.php

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
unless you stay in a block of flats i doubt anyone will care if you install it - when you move however there is a very large chance you will be charged for the removal of the stove and the reinstatement of the building fabric

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Individual councils and housing associations have different rules - mine not only agreed but offered a grant of £500 towards the cost!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Installation involves an inspection of the flue and installation of a stainless steel liner and register plate before you can fit the stove. I live in rented, but I'd imagine a council property must conform to building regs too. The fitting of the flue etc cost £950 (and it's only a bungalow), plus £420 for the woodburner. You'll be issued with a Hetas certificate after fitting, the council may want to see this, so there's no short cuts.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
If it were allowed to be installed I bet it would still be banned due to smoke.

If you invest in a quality stove, you will find that they are highly fuel efficient and give off less emissions than a standard gas fire, this is a fact, although not everyone cares to let you know. Defra approved stoves generally use a 5 inch rather than the usual 6 inch diameter flue. They can safely and legallly be used in smokefree zones.
Of course to get the best results you need a quality stove, quality stainless 25 year insulated flue liner and have it competently fitted. It needs sweeping preferably more than once a year. And you need wood to burn in it, lots of dry logs. You get ignorant ill informed people who moan about stoves, they make stinky clouds of smoke an waste trees blah blah blah. They sometimes have a point if the stove is a cheap diy installed taiwan/chinease job going into a tarred up ex gas fire flue...with damp logs....A proper stove gives off basically no smoke, if its fuelled and burning correctly. And wood is a sustainable fuel, yet its amazing how much gets chippered. If you know someone who is a tree surgeon your laughing....theres logs everywhere, you soon develop a nose for them.
A decent stove is an outlay-BUT it pays for itself over the years, especially if you have the motivation and wherewithal to acquire and process your own logs (a practise I would highly recomend, a great task for you and your boy to do together)
In 2011/12 I paid £70 tops for a around 3 tons of logs, which were delivered to my gate, plus there were some extra windfalls and good stuff rescued from the chipper that I got for free. When it was all cut and split, I worked out that the same volume supplied "ready to burn" (LOL thats a joke:lmao:) off a log merchant would of been around £450

I have a woodwarm stove, absolutely brilliant, totally British designed and built piece of kit. I swear you can actually SEE the heat energy being sucked out of those logs and converted into flame heat....I'm burning willow in it at present and its hot, wait till I start with the beech....:lmao:

Good luck with the project idea,
cheers Jonathan :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm burning a nice mix of Ash, Beech and Chestnut. Have to shut the door for the Chestnut, it spits a lot, but I pick up used 5 foot posts 5-6" diameter for 40p a post. Bought a hundred, made a LOT of logs. Not the best burning wood, but when split in half and piled in they seem to go ok.

The tipper load of Ash was a real bonus. Arrived split and a bit damp, didn't pay a penny for it :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would say probably not.

I live in what used to be a Council flat which has since been taken over by a housing association.

When I moved in it was one of the very few not to have been converted to gas and to still have an open fireplace.

I used to burn smokeless fuel in it, but after they knocked the coal houses down there was no where for it to be delivered anymore, so I went over to electric heaters, but the fireplace is still there.

A couple of years back there was a fire in the block, and when the fire brigade inspected my flat after the restoration had been done they said that the open fire was a no no, I then recieved a notice from the landlord banning me from ever using it as a fireplace.

I suspect you will fall foul of health and safety for any number of reasons notwithstanding you are probably in a smokeless zone anyway and wood is not smokeless.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
@ Laurentius....
As I pointed out earlier, even if you do live in a smoke controlled area, you can buy a stove that conforms to DEFRA'S legislation.
I guess you didn't read it... Naughty boy, stay on after class... Repeat on the blackboard... ' I must read all of the comments before I post my own' ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE