wood burning stove advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Hi guys, for Christmas iv decided to treat myself to a new wood stove for my lavvu. It will only be used in winter months really.. so where I'm heading with this is the frontier stove has always been top of the list but today I came across this..
,http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009L5ZPPA/ref=aw_d_iv_sports?is=l

To start with its a pretty good price knocking around 50 big ones of the frontier stove, but does it lack in quality? If the millitery use them would they be fairly robust?

If anyone has any experience with them I'd love to hear what you think! Also any other comment welcome! :)

Kind regards,

Cowboy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've no experience of them but the shipping costs bump things up considerably. Not a huge amount cheaper than the Frontier when you take that into account.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I think somebody brought this up a couple of weeks ago but I can't remember the title of the thread to find it. IIRC the vie was with postage it was a similar price and quality. I'm sure I have seen reviews on this stove on youtube.

I have no experience with the frontier stove but I have read people thoughts that it is not great as a lavvu stove, narrow flue can block, low capacity, lack of baffle means the flue gets very hot and can waste heat.

I have seen some heavy army surplus stoves that are a similar price if taking it by car or I think the Helsport lavvu oven is considered a good stove.

Hope thats some help

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Hi Cowboy

Looks pretty good to me, i have a Frontier stove which i like, the only issue i can see is the carriage at £75.18 you will only save yourself about £15.00 on a frontier stove. However i have to say looking at it it looks a good deal, let us know if you get one it would be interesting to compare.

Good luck buddy whichever one you choose to buy.

Nov 7, 2012
UK
Hi Guys, I have been deliberating for ages on the best stove for my Helsport Lavvu & didn't want to pay too much out. I came to the conclusion that the best buy was the Swedish Wildo as you can get them for about £150. In the end I build one myself, it was going to be an ammo box version but got given a stainless electrical cabinet that was getting chucked out so this started me off building an all stainless version ( see pics ). Its just finished so will be getting it fired up in the next few days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53520087@N02/8297831520/

If anyone wants any info on it let me know.

Snowy

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi Guys, I have been deliberating for ages on the best stove for my Helsport Lavvu & didn't want to pay too much out. I came to the conclusion that the best buy was the Swedish Wildo as you can get them for about £150. In the end I build one myself, it was going to be an ammo box version but got given a stainless electrical cabinet that was getting chucked out so this started me off building an all stainless version ( see pics ). Its just finished so will be getting it fired up in the next few days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53520087@N02/8297831520/

If anyone wants any info on it let me know.

Snowy

Looks bob on does that. Looks like it will last a lifetime, shame they discolour after being burnt.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Cowboy,

I've got the Frontier stove fitted to my Tentipi 7 through a high temp silicone gromet in the canvas wall. The flu does need cleaned every 3 to 5 days depending on what you're burning and my mate had a witches hat made for it which greatly improves the draw and risk of smoke blowing back down the chimney. Great for cooking on and keeping that all important copper kettle on the go. Heats the tent wonderfully, doesn't take up too much space and burns pretty much anything. Packs up pretty small and quickly too. The only drawbacks I can see with the stove you're lookinng at are that it's a smaller cooking area and they seem to be taking the micky on the post and packing.

Whatever you end up with, enjoy it and have a great Christmas.

Goatboy.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
I've used both the frontier and the wildo. I like both but if im camping 'lighter' then the frontier wins hands down coz of the portability. Its good wen camping with the g/f cs its great fr cooking and eating.
The wildo though is just as good but its just a bit heavy so its in the second home... The shed haha. Both great stoves though

Regards
Leaf177

The Edge

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
South East
A nice take on the frontier type stove here ...

[video=youtube;yibQ-Zt-1ic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yibQ-Zt-1ic[/video]

I like the water heating tank on this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE