Protecting Your Frontier Type Stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hallo all,

My query here is not just for the Frontier but I guess to any enclosed wood burning stove like the ammo box stove and the outbacker for example (not a wood gas burner)

I remember reading that it was recommended to protect the base of the stove using sand as a layer beneath the burning wood/coals.

So, if you are out an about and run out of sand can soil be used as a substitute? I reckon you have to be careful and not use any with too much peat or clay?

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Cheers

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think it depends a lot on how big the stove is and how often it gets used.
A little fire for a hot drink and/or meal, I wouldn't bother.
Any soil with a high organic content ( humus) will probably char to ash for very little protection.

We had a 20" Airtight wood stove (Great West Metal) as the sole source of heat in the log cabin. Effective.
Really crappy cold wet summer so it got lit just about every morning. Probably burned for at least an hour.
They are quite thin sheet metal, even with a liner and easily run hot enough to cook a pan of bacon on the top lid.
Then, 2" sand in the bottom is a good idea as there was 40 miles of bush to the nearest road and 60 miles of gravel road to a store.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Never heard of using sand, though I think it would work, more practicable imo would be a grate of some sort, something reusable and that you can just pack with the stove

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE