Wood Burner vs. Barbecue

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My wife wants a new barbecue for the garden, but I'm wondering about a wood burning stove instead, as I have quite a large pile of firewood. As I don't know much (if anything) about wood burning stoves, I wonder if anyone can advise on makes /suppliers.

• I'd be looking for one I can buy, rather than making one.
  • Can wood burners also use charcoal?
  • Can wood burners operate like a barbecue (i.e. grilling)?
  • Burning wood seems to be more environmentally friendly than charcoal, because there are no associated transport /packaging /processing costs.

Of course this may have already been answered in the forums and I haven't searched properly for it!.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've got a chiminea, and yes you can use charcoal, and cook in it like a barbie... although that depends on the size of the chiminea. However you need to remember that a wood fire can create a lot more smoke than a barbie so think of the effect on your neighbours when you make your choice.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I was wondering about smoke - but had seen on another thread about hobo style cookers (e.g. tin can with a few holes in the bottom), which supposedly minimise smoke - not sure whether the chimney effect makes for a cleaner, reduced smoke burn.

I don't know if this assumption is true, and whether there any wood burners that work on this principle.

Geoff

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
In my experience where log burners are concerned you get what you pay for (mine was £800 ten years ago :eek: ) and when you think that they are primarily designed to heat a home as opposed to cook these days I think you are going to struggle to get one that meets the needs of both yourself and Mrs. dgcalvert :D . The smoke reduction on log burners is often referred to as air wash and I believe it is designed to prevent the glass from becoming sooted on the viewing windows. This only works when the doors are closed as it uses air damping to create the washing so not really of much use to you for your intended application.

I am not well versed on how to make charcoal but I am sure there are some on here that could help out on that score. If I were you I would convert the log pile into charcoal and buy/make yourself a barbie to burn it on :)

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Maybe try googling for the word firepit. Make sure you find one which has a grill obviously for the food.

You could burn wood down into charcoal, or start off with bought charcoal.

These are great for keeping warm in the evening as they can hold a reasonably large fire. Chininea's give out most of their heat from the front openinig, unlike a firepit which give out equal heat all around. The pitfall of this though is that they can spit in all directions so you might want to get one with a shield.

Also the smoke from a chininea goes up the chimney obviously. The smoke from a firepit doesn't get vented away so well.

My preference is definetely a firepit.

Try here . We bought the terrace brazier as it was the biggest. It's rusted a bit, but does it's job very well otherwise

Cheers

GDB

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I'll second the Firepit idea. You can have a good size fire for warmth and they also double as a BBQ. The only downside is some are rather low to the ground, therefor you have to bend right down or sit next to the pit in order to cook your food. ATB Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE