Wood burner question

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi,I've made a wood burner in just a square box shape with tig welded sides. It's made of 2mil mild steel plate. Now I've thought about it more im wondering if this will be able to cope with the heat or will it melt/warp massively? If so, what do you suggest? The panels are each approx 250mil square Thanks people!

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
If I remember correctly, steel melts at 1300 deg C, will your wood burner get that hot? If it does, what material were you thinking of making a new one out of? Ali is 2000 deg C and Iron 1600 Deg C.

The wood burners you can buy are made of Iron & steel, though I think some of the outdoor ones are made of ceramics, which doesnt melt at all.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Mild steel is fine for the temperature of a wood fire, but it will eventually rust through. With only occasional duty, I would think that the thickness you've used is going to last at least a few years unless you leave it outside in the rain when you're not using it.

As the sides are fairly large they might distort a little but it won't be a big problem. You could always weld some stiffeners on if you think it's necessary.

Once you gather some experience of how your stove works the way that you use it, you'll probably start thinking about new designs. When you decide on the final design that will suit you perfectly you might want to use a stainless steel such as 304 or even 316, but I wouldn't recommend the expense unless you're sure that it's the last one you'll ever make. :)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I'm using materials from work at rolls Royce. I'm limited to mild steel plate of both 2 and 3 mm. And how do stiffeners work, is it just smaller bits on the inside welded on to the side Walls? And I dOnt know if it will get that hot? Will it? :S also I'm thinking of using this with my polish lavuu and have the chimney just going out the door with a fire blanket to prevent the sides of the chimney getting mega hot and burning into the side of the canvas?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
id weld some 3mm strips on the outside to make it a bit more rigid, as for the chimey be carefull with the fire blanket, the new ones burn quite easy compared to the old aspestos ones which have their own risk from disease etc...

it should burn fine though, might go a bit wobeley if you dont brace it but it wont effect its burning ability any..

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Asbestos is only a problem if you start burning/cutting it on a regular basis. And I mean daily.

Best thing to use would be fireproof lagging, or isulation board, as they are insulating and fire proof, so just wrap the flue 6" either side of where it gos through the canvas if you'r concerned about setting fire to the tent.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Ok I've welded a small 6mm plate ontop to act as a bit of reinforcement as I guess the top will get all the heat, however it coul also double as a hot plate. I've put 3mm stiffners on the inside (was that wrong?) my instructor doesn't seem to think it will do anything? And is it better to have the chimney going straight up or cut it into a mitre joint and make it turn off at 45degrees aroun half way up? And so just to clarify, 2mm plate should withstand the heat for atleast a couple of years?

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
2mil Plate should last quite a while, depending on where you store it and how often you use it. If you can get some exterior pain on the sides & Legs that should help stave off rust.

Flue is up to where abouts in the tent do you want it, an angle shouldnt effect performance too much on its own.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Steel thickness is a trade off between lifespan and weight. Stoves designed for everyday use are made from cast iron or welded boiler plate which from memory when I worked in the family stove and fireplace business was around 5mm. Boiler plate stoves tend to be lined with firebrick as don't last as long as cast otherwise. It also depends on use. If you are going to have it roaring red hot then it will burn out much faster than if just ticking over with a few sticks in (more likely in a lavu) I think your 2mm will work fine, the worst case scenario is after a year or two it burns through in which case you have learnt something. I suspect more of them die through rust that burning through.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Be carefull what you burn ,different woods burn at different temps some resin types can only be used in a multi fuel burner which is a lot more gauge or cast ,as for the chimney try to twin wall it packing a little fibreglass between the two as it will get very hot ( to hot to handle) and take the pull of the chimney in to account so it burns efficiently .good luck.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Where shall I store the burner? It will probably only receive occasional use, and what is exterior pain? Do you paint? Won't the paint just crack off in the heat? I'll have the burner just be the door which is why I was thinking having the angled flue? The chimney can't be twin walled it is a scrap piece of stainless tubing I found around 2 mm thick. What is the pull of the chimney about?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Also will I be ok to burn directly onto the bottom plate or will it burn through seeing as the core of the fire is hottest. Shall I try and make a raised up platform for it? Almost like an ash pan?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Also will I be ok to burn directly onto the bottom plate or will it burn through seeing as the core of the fire is hottest. Shall I try and make a raised up platform for it? Almost like an ash pan?

I'm no expert but a tray with some sand/dirt in may do the trick. My garden chimnea has 4 inches of sand at the bottom to do the same thing.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Haha you have to hope so ;) Right so final questions before i post up all my plans.1) Where should i store the stove to make it last longest?2) I'm thinking of putting a layer of dirt in the bottom and then a fire tray to actually Have the fire in, I figured this might help the bottom of the stove last a bit longer. This a good idea?3) How many holes shall I put in for ventilation and where shall I position them? 4) what are the things to consider about carbon monoxide poisoning etc?5) And any final things people think I should consider? 6) will any hinge work? Cheers

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Where shall I store the burner?

Under the bed? :)

It will probably only receive occasional use, and what is exterior pain? Do you paint? Won't the paint just crack off in the heat?

You can get matt black stove paint. It works but it's pretty smelly when you first light the stove.

I'll have the burner just be the door which is why I was thinking having the angled flue?

Don't have any part of the flue horizontal. 45 degrees is OK but keep bends to a minimum and preferably long radius.

The chimney can't be twin walled it is a scrap piece of stainless tubing I found around 2 mm thick. What is the pull of the chimney about?

If I remember rightly you can get about 0.7mm water gauge (maximum) for every metre of flue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE