Wondering if any makers could help me out

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all,

I didn't know where to put this so I thought here would be ok

Basically I'm on the verge of buying a falkniven f1, but there's a few things which are holding me back, for example the handle is quite thin, and I have large palms, also apparently there is a bit of an issue with blade chipping.

So I was wondering if there was a maker that would be able to put together something very similar to the F1, about 3.5" blade, convex grind, 4.5mm thick and a nice set of scales

Budget is pretty important too, I don't really want to spend any more than a f1 (roughly 110)

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Tom

Mods if this is in the wrong place please move it :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
are you askin for a blank or a full knife, the latter would cost between 150-180 from my experience

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
i think you'll struggle to find a maker thats any good that'll spend 40+ hours making you something like that for £110... minus cost of material, electric, abrasive, propane, tool ware, plasters ect! would leave maybe £40 - £50 for a weeks hard work!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm not a maker but I've had several makers here make knives for me.

Mark is right about getting one made, you're looking at something nearer 200 quid for a custom job - even then that's pretty much the bottom end of the range and there's the cost of a sheath.

A one-off high-tech unfinished blade could cost more than your budget.

Given your preferences there may be knives available here second hand which will probably suit you, but you'll have to keep an eye out for them as they pop up only occasionally.
The Bison Forester might interest you. On the plus side the characteristics aren't amongst the most popular, so they probably won't be snapped up right away.

Do you actually want a stainless blade? If you want something stainless that will survive abuse maybe try looking for something in 440C or even D2 - but sharpening D2 isn't for everyone.

Have you a particular reason for wanting the convex edge? It isn't everyone's cup of tea.

If you're not so fussy and you'll accept O1 steel or similar there are lots of knives around which might suit you.

The F1 was designed the way it is for good reasons. I have one (it's not for sale). Are you sure you want one? You do know the blade steel is a high-tech sandwich construction? (Chinese fakes excepted!)
Yes I'm sure you could chip the edge if you tried hard enough. I've seen one broken in two. People do the damndest things with tools, :(

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I think I'm drawn to the f1 for its 'bombproof' ness, and it looks really nice! but I don't know a ton about knives, and their construction. I'm looking into making my own as a project, but I don't have any of the tools I need! Or the foggiest idea where to start!
I think I need to slow down and try and test out some knives before I buy :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
what do you want the kife for mate?
I'v got an f1 that i use as an EDC. its a well made knife and no mistake,but its very far from my favorite blade shape for any particular task tbh

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not many makers do proper convex grinds either. Cant say i've seen any maker do one for a long time.

£110 would just about get you a blade only. and then steel choice would be fairly limited.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'm drawn to the f1 for its 'bombproof' ness, and it looks really nice! but I don't know a ton about knives, and their construction. I'm looking into making my own as a project, but I don't have any of the tools I need! Or the foggiest idea where to start! I think I need to slow down and try and test out some knives before I buy :)
look at Enzo - they make cheap kits

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thanks for the tips everyone!

It's part of the deal here. :)

I think I'm drawn to the f1 for its 'bombproof' ness, and it looks really nice!

In that case I recommend that you look at something else. The F1 is not what I'd call a bombproof knife. Its design is a compromise, largely on weight, because it's intended to go out through the hole in the cockpit canopy when the pilot punches out.
It might look nice to you but have you actually used one? I don't know how big your hands are, but mine are on the large side. To me, the F1 feels like it will break if I squeeze the handle too hard. It's the skinniest handle of any fixed blade knife I've ever seen. As I said the blade is a laminated steel, and if you flex it too much the middle layer can crack. A crack in stainless is nasty as it's likely to ingest moisture and that can cause crevice corrosion, something to which almost all stainless steels are susceptible. If that happens it's the beginning of the end for the tool. Look around - I think there are some photos of one that died that way on this site somewhere.

As Sunndog says the F1 can be an acquired taste. I personally don't favour a convex edge most of the time and as Mark says (the oher Mark - HillBill) a convex edge isn't perfectly straightforward anyway.

If you want bomproof, you want something less high tech and as I said probably nothing more technical than 440C if it's to be stainless. Strictly speaking D2 isn't stainless but it's getting there.

I actually think you should be looking at O1 or similar blades until you get a good feel for what's right for you. They'll be cheaper; much more readily available in a wider range of designs; and easier to sell if you decide to move them on. O1 has practically no vices except that it will rust if you don't look after it. It's easy to look after it.

I think I need to slow down and try and test out some knives before I buy :)

Agreed. :)

Why not get along to a few meets and ask people what they use? My bet is you'll be spoilt for choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE