Wonderful Fungi ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Richmond North Yorkshire.
All of the below pictures were taken in a local pine forest which has a south facing North/North East facing slope.

DSCF3567.jpg

DSCF3566.jpg

DSCF3569.jpg

DSCF3571.jpg

DSCF3478.jpg

DSCF3481.jpg

DSCF3480.jpg

This next one has had me completely fooled. All three (above and below) are species i've not came across before in this Forest, maybe they are common elsewhere?

Located in an opening where grass grows. Safron Milk Caps and Slippery jacks grow within a few paces of it.
The texture to touch is extremely strange, almost rubber like. I can only compare it to the feel of a savoy cabbage when you run your fingers over the outer leaves.
DSCF3537.jpg

DSCF3538.jpg

DSCF3539.jpg

DSCF3540.jpg

DSCF3542.jpg

This guy was calling this one home. He wasn't at all happy about me or the camera poking around his house.
DSCF3543.jpg

A nice way to end a great days foraging!
DSCF3578.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The big one, I think, is a clouded funnel (clitocybe nebularis). This is very common, of disputed edibility, and I've never eaten it personally. The wrinkly white one is a common helvella (helvella crispa) or "white saddle." This is also of disputed edibility (once thought to be edible, now suspected of being carcinogenic). I've been eating this one for years and only recently discovered that it is no longer considered safe to eat!

May 5, 2010
Manchester
Are you sure it's not Podoscypha multizonata?

I see what you mean but alas with all pictures 100% confirmation can't be given. I'd stick with my previous suggestion as the look does give the Thelephora feel. I'm no fool though and realise ID's via photo's is virtually impossible. I suggest if one has a chance to re-visit then one can bear both species in mind and make due ID steps to come up with a name.

Cheers for that Geoff and keep on mooching.

Been a good season this year but as usual many a find has slipped through the ID net due to time - it gets harder. The fact that 20% of Russula's can't be ID'd now and those that can take so much time as really put the cat amongst the pigeons - ha, ha

Hey Ho.

Fungalpunk Dave - www.fungalpunknature.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE