Wonderful article on living alone for six months in the Siberian wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2013/may/31/siberia-cabin-lake-baikal-russia

I just read this article and was impressed. There's a short video that accompanies it here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/2013/may/31/escape-to-siberian-cabin-video

I love the line that says:

Milan Kundera said because Russia didn't have an elite in its history, and no Renaissance, Russians are still in a state of irrationality and magical thinking, like the Middle Ages.

I have met many Russians in the last couple of years and could never put my finger on what it was about them that was different to other northern Europeans. They look like us but they don't act like us. There is a different spirituality about some of them; like another dimension exists for them outside the here-and-now. Maybe it's the vastness of their terrain.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2013/may/31/siberia-cabin-lake-baikal-russia

I just read this article and was impressed. There's a short video that accompanies it here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/2013/may/31/escape-to-siberian-cabin-video

I love the line that says:

Milan Kundera said because Russia didn't have an elite in its history, and no Renaissance, Russians are still in a state of irrationality and magical thinking, like the Middle Ages.

I have met many Russians in the last couple of years and could never put my finger on what it was about them that was different to other northern Europeans. They look like us but they don't act like us. There is a different spirituality about some of them; like another dimension exists for them outside the here-and-now. Maybe it's the vastness of their terrain.

Could be the home brewed vodka.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

What a glorious phrase! It rings true for me :) ... off to read article and bookmark, ta for the heads-up.

Just watched the video - with utter envy! - and I love the way he speaks, "you can spend a very great moment doing nothing" and the way he talks about stuffing as much into his time as possible ... and learning to grow out from that habit! Book now on wishlist! I love people who are open and grow like that, connect ...

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Saw this in the press last week!! The guy actually spent 3 days alone!! And it was far from "roughing it" he took solar panels to power his laptop
And satellite internet connection. In between partying with tousists, planned visitors and the odd excursion to town and neighbours!!!! I think they gave the book a 1 star rating :)
Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Saw this in the press last week!! The guy actually spent 3 days alone!! And it was far from "roughing it" he took solar panels to power his laptop
And satellite internet connection. In between partying with tousists, planned visitors and the odd excursion to town and neighbours!!!! I think they gave the book a 1 star rating :)

Ah well !!! What a shame !!! Good thoughts - bad actions !!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"Milan Kundera said because Russia didn't have an elite in its history, and no Renaissance, Russians are still in a state of irrationality and magical thinking, like the Middle Ages."

Russian history is littered with elites, it's why it existed as the empire it was and had a revolution which produced even more, and as for no Renaissance it had it's own indigenous one and the modernisation of Peter the Great. I do think they have a different mind set though but that's partly because so many cultures have been brought under one banner.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Maybe he was talking about a scientific or educated elite. And the vast wildness of the place means isolation for many of its inhabitants. Combine that with a harsh climate and one might encounter people who are more in tune with nature and its magic. Just an idea.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London

I don't think the idea was to 'rough it'. Would you have a link to the press article? It sounds entirely at odds with the one on the Guardian website. Having said that the average Guardian journo probably thinks setting foot outside Greater London is entering the wilderness ha ha.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga is Werner Herzog's documentary study of a Siberian village focussing on the trappers. It not only looks beautiful but also shows trappers at work in the wilderness.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't think the idea was to 'rough it'. Would you have a link to the press article? It sounds entirely at odds with the one on the Guardian website. Having said that the average Guardian journo probably thinks setting foot outside Greater London is entering the wilderness ha ha.

No No, they're roughing it here, LINK :)

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire

I think it was the mail on sunday - book review!! The guy, who is a French travel journalist, wanted to experience "total solitude"!!! But it seems it turned out far from that - I don't think he even made it to the end of his "planned isolation" period :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
The romantic notion of being alone somewhere totally remote is a thought many people have myself included, the down side is of course if you become ill, a tooth abcess,a urine infection, little things easily treated at home but become very serious left,the people who did survive being stranded or abandoned somewhere, were lucky to not starve to death or die from dehydration, but also infection/illness,you only have to go through a victorian grave yard and see the young ages people died,probably the majority could have been saved with modern medicine, so whilst being alone in the wild hundreds of miles from anywhere is a romantic notion, for me now at my age thats what it will have to stay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE