Woggle advice (turks knot)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
hi! tied one of these a while back out of leather and it sits nicely around my walking stick and ive made one for my necker in the scouts but the ends are loose so ive glued them in place, is there an alternative way of finishing them?

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
Generally I just make sure that both ends are inside the turks head and especially with leather it's not a problem. I suppose you could tie the ends together using strong cotton and a constrictor knot.

Cheers Roy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
When I get to the end of the knot I follow the beginning again untill I get to the middle and then cut the lace there. It keeps the ends from sticking out and as one lace sits directly over the other it doesn't look odd.
Could also do it for the beginning of the knot and tuck the end of that lace into the finishing piece.

this is one I did for me
woggle3.jpg

Mark

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
For the tying of a simple turks head here's a couple of sites. I like to think of the starting position as a bit like an incomplete clove hitch, you can also tie one by making a carrick mat and letting it collapse in on itself. If you want something a bit more complicated you can expand a simple one hard to explain in words but try and get a look at Ashley's book of knots which has got 29 pages of turks heads and some really complicated stuff.. a must for anyone who's got the ropeworking bug.

http://www.troop54.com/knots/TurksHeadKnot/TurksHeadKnot.htm
http://www.folsoms.net/knots/turkshead.htm

cheers Roy

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Wow, that's a very nice woggle Buckshot.

I've been playing with Turk's heads for a little while. This is the only one of my rings I've gotten round to photographing;

DSCF0220.jpg

Sterling Silver seven lead Turk's head, I think I gave that one to a friend (and scouting colleague).

In my reasearch I found this site, worth a look around because there is some wonderful work there, however this is the immeadiately useful page (he says, hoping the link works);

golden-knots

Have fun.

Meandering over, siff leather or wire should just sit there. I gather you're using more flexible material, I would put in a constrictor knot in thread around the end and the turn it lays next to, if possible. Alternatively superglue or melt and fuse ends in place.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Most of the woggles I have made are wooden. I have used glue for the Turks head woggles we have made with kids.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE