WIP: S120 Camera Half Case

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hi,

I bought myself a Canon s120 as a camera that is small enough that's not a burden to carry almost everywhere I go, but still with manual controls for Aperture, Shutter, ISO, WB, etc.

It came with no case, te official canon one is a half case style; I have been learning leathercraft, I figured why not make my own.

It's still a work in progress, there are a few things I am still waiting to do:

• Finish the curve on the front of the case, I have roughly cut the outside case into shape but am yet to finish the exact shape
  • punch a hole so the flash switch can be accessed
  • dye it timber brown when my tandy order arrives
  • burnish all the edges - which is prooving difficult as the leather is about 6-7 oz and flops about all over the place when I use the edge slicker
  • Line the outside case - I should have done that before putting the rivets in (likewise I should have left a bit unglued for the inner case lining so I could put the rivets in - I ended up pulling the contact adhesive apart to put them behind the lining)
  • Stitch all the way around - hoping that will reinforce the structure somewhat as it's a bit supple

Is there anything else I can do to stiffen up the case when it's finished?

Thanks,
Matt

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Cheers, I did wonder about Beeswax, but then worried that my camera would just end up all waxy. Although arguably I guess that's not a huge problem unless it's on the lens!

If I were to do this sort of project again, I've seen 'grey board' referenced in a few books but then nothing on the actual application of such a thing.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Cheers, I did wonder about Beeswax, but then worried that my camera would just end up all waxy. Although arguably I guess that's not a huge problem unless it's on the lens!

If I were to do this sort of project again, I've seen 'grey board' referenced in a few books but then nothing on the actual application of such a thing.

If you're lining it just line after you wax. No wax on the camera. Wetting it will also harden it some. Wax will also darken the leather.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
If you're lining it just line after you wax. No wax on the camera. Wetting it will also harden it some. Wax will also darken the leather.

Cheers Guys! Cheers for the tip on beeswax mountainm - I have done this and it's pretty hardened now

After some brief searching I found out about something called Cuir Bouilli and this page seems to be a great resource: http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/leather/hl.html

Here's the finished product, I fear I made the bottom 'plate' a bit too small and so when I box stitched around it the case it perhaps a little bit too small however I am very pleased with the results :)

Cheers,
Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE